Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Woodchucks

This morning I made more green smoothies.  The Hubs and Newbie sipped theirs while I worked on my batch in the blender.  I was using a wooden spoon to push the spinach further into the blender while the blades whipped away at the peaches and mango. [RED ALERT]  I don't know if it was pregnancy brain or just pure stupidity, but I repeat: I was using a wooden spoon to push the spinach further into the blender.

I pulled the spoon out, poured my smoothie into a cup and happened to glance down at the counter long enough to see that a small slice was missing from the tip of the spoon.  The wheels started turning: But where did that piece of the spoon go?  I don't see a chunk sitting around anywhere... what happened to it?  Surely I would have seen a piece floating around in the smoothie? ............. *GASP!!!*

I put the wooden spoon IN THE BLENDER, thus IT WAS BLENDED into the smoothie.

I fed my baby splinters for breakfast.

I frantically searched my own smoothie and saw little bits of finely blended WOOD.  The pieces were microscopic and soggy, but still: WOOD.  Then I went over to Newbie's glass and snapped it away from him when I saw itty bitty bits in his as well.  I told the Hubs to toss his smoothie and run for the hills and never let me make breakfast again.

The mother-guilt was suffocating.

The Hubs was laughing.

Newbie was griping because he wanted his smoothie back.

Ugh.

Nothing  a little yogurt and bagels couldn't fix, but it took me a good long while to devise that there wasn't really much of the spoon missing and maybe we hadn't really just eaten an entire tree for breakfast.  Really Newbie didn't get that far in his smoothie and the Hubs is tough, so maybe his digestive track can handle it.

GOOD GRIEF. 

I'm off the smoothie circuit until my ego recovers.  It took quite the blow this morning.  And the wooden spoon still sits on the counter to remind me of my shame.  I'm pretty sure my mom got that sucker when she was married back in 1980 something.  So that's awesome.  Nothing like splintered wood from 1982 for breakfast and nothing like telling your mom you butchered a family heirloom in the blender.

Bleck.

When we aren't eating wood around here, we're outside enjoying the oddly warm and sunny weather.  Almost all the snow has melted, and Newbie and I have been outside exploring when we get the chance.  You never know when that white stuff is coming back, but we're enjoying the grass and sunshine while we can!
 
 
 
Newbie loves playing with his dogs.  He slaps his knee and yells, "Diffin!  Come!" or "Opie! Come!" when he wants to play.  I took him to the park on Sunday, and at one point, the few kids at the park with us took off across the field for the river.  Newbie had a view of them from the slide and yelled, "Kids!  Come!" while slapping his knee.  I busted a gut laughing.  "Mommy!  Kids a wa-der. (kids at the water) KIDS! COME!"  Ba ha haha. What a ham.
 
 
The Hubs is wrapping up some stuff at the new house today, tomorrow is carpet installation day, and then its time to move in!  We can't wait.  Sleepover Thursday night in the living room and then big move-in day on Saturday.  Just about as soon as we move in, we're headed to the doctor for our 20 week ultra sound.  I can't wait to see our little munchkin!  There have been a few times I've thought I've felt her move- one in particular last night- but its hard to say if its the baby or the Super Bowl finger food talking at this point.  Nothing definitive enough for me to say I for sure feel the baby moving.  We'll keep waiting for her to beef up and really get the party started.

Lots of laundry and packing on our to-do list here today.  We'll see if we can squeeze in some exploring between boxing up toys and blankets. =)
Wishing you all a happy Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. Precious child with the blue eyes and the blue coat. What a gift from God he is. A perfect little boy for sure. His smile is a ray of sunshine! Oh, how I do love him!
    Mutte

    ReplyDelete