Monday, September 10, 2012

A Heads-Up

Today I'm writing with a public service announcement...

(I'm still pretty cranky about the whole thing.)

It happened Thursday night when I was out to dinner with my mom and sister.  We ordered some wine, and the waitress brought the bottle to the table.  After she set the bottle down, I looked down at my menu then heard a BANG! and realized everything was out of focus because my glasses had gone crooked on my face.  Then I saw the blood, and shut my eyes for the next 45 minutes while the restaurant bustled, my sister and mom reassured me it was ok while keeping pressure on the throbbing gash, I cried, and the ER doctor glued me up.

There was blood everywhere.  My mom and sister told me later that it soaked through two cloth napkins and surely ruined everyone's dinner at the sight of our table that evening in the restaurant. After looking at the bottle, we realized the cork never even left the mouth of the bottle.  The thing straight up exploded out the side.  The glass hit me in the head with enough force to continue on from my head to hit the floor under the table next to us.  It left a gaping hole in the side of the wine bottle.



All the way to the ER I cried because what the heck, man?  All I wanted was some chicken alfredo.  I was real shook up and continued to be through the next few days because the truth is, God's grace is the only thing that kept that glass from going through my glasses and hitting my eye.

Also, I cried because there was blood everywhere and we were in the middle of the restaurant.  I was that girl, the one who everyone was looking at and talking about as she was hurried out of the restaurant and management rushed to cover up the ordeal in my wake.

The whole thing was slightly traumatic.  I don't want to dramatize it as more frightening than it was, but the truth is, it was a really bizarre and dangerous situation, and I don't want it to happen to anyone else.

I debated writing about it at all, so the morning after it happened, I wrote up a little something that reflected my feelings on the whole thing, unsure if I'd ever post it or not.  Then we met with an attorney this morning to do what we could to be sure it didn't happen to anyone else, and that's when we found out the only realistic way to be sure this doesn't happen again is to shout it from the rooftops because all the world wants is money and the case wouldn't really go anywhere without lots of money to front the operation and that's lots of money the Hubs and I don't have.  So here's my feeble attempt to make sure nobody else is the recipient of an exploding wine bottle to the face:

Stay away from Seven Daughters Moscato.


Seriously.

All I have to do is imagine how I'd feel if Newbie had been at that table when the thing blew and homegirl gets real, real angry.  As in, can't even think about it angry. So if you're a vino fan, do yourself a favor and steer clear of Seven Daughters wine company.

And pass me another bandaid because this sucker is gnarly.

The bottom line is, I am so blessed because what could have been severely traumatic ended up being a cut on the forehead that will heal over time.  I'm fine, and I thank God for that.

But please tell your friends, because they sell the stuff at Target and serve it at restaurants, and I desperately want to spare others the pain of what could potentially happen.

No Seven Daughters.  Tell your friends.

Over and out.

2 comments:

  1. that cut is no joke! eeeeek! so great to work with you in two's yesterday:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brit! WOW! That is scary! So glad that you are okay. As a server who opens hundreds of bottles of wine for my guests, this scares me. Did the restaurant offer you anything? A gift certificate? Did the restaurant manager call to check and make sure you were okay? Did the restaurant file an accident report? ( this SHOULD have happened)

    I would still put in a call or e-mail w/ pics to Seven Sisters. Any good restaurant or company will attempt to make this right without having lawyers involved.

    xoxoxo

    Kris

    ReplyDelete