

(We had to trade in Newbie's rain boots for his snow boots- it was that cold! We were goofing off by the bonfire waiting for Daddy to come back from the car with warmer garb. He is such a ham!)


(I wanted to take this cow home with us. So. cute.)


(Newbie's dream come true: a giant sandbox full of trucks. Forget the applewood bonfires and the bounce houses and the tee-pee and the ponies and petting zoo and barrel train. This is all we did after he found it. The. whole. time.)

(We did make time for the pedal go-carts. We sold him on them by telling him they were like Lightening McQueen.)
Reason # 435,234,231 the Hubs is a fabulous dad:

(Totally still crushing on this guy after eight years)


(Would you like some hand sanitizer with that apple crisp donut?!? Classic Brittany. I never travel without it!)

(Yum. The donut too, but mostly those chubby little fingers. Yum.)
*****
At church our pastor has challenged us to read through the New Testament in eight weeks. We're reading through The Books of the Bible, a version of the Bible that has all the subtitles and verses and red letters taken out- it reads a lot like a story, and I'm loving it so far. I'm playing mega-catch-up today, trying to get my game together before women's Bible study tonight (eek! Hi, Kristi! =]). I'm in the middle of the book of Acts and was really struck by a verse that reads: "Then the church throughout Judea, Galilee and Samaria enjoyed a time of peace and was strengthened. Living in the fear of the Lord and encouraged by the Holy Spirit..." Acts 9:31
I had to read it again to be sure I caught it just right because it was so very perfect. God put up a hedge of protection around the church and blessed them with a season of peace where they could be strengthened and encouraged. LOVE that. Just love it. Because it so fits where I'm at right now.
For the past...few months? I've been asking to be thrown a bone. I know life isn't easy, and I know everybody has a different story, but for a while our story felt like it was in a whirlwind of challenge and struggle, and while we were learning and growing in ways that we wouldn't trade, it. was. hard. Crazy hard. Crazy lean into Jesus because its the only way to walk hard. And in many ways, I loved it. I loved seeing His strength in my weakness and feeling His closeness more than I ever had in losing my girls. Because it was sweet- getting to know the Lord on a level that I hadn't before. It changed me, and I am so much better for the hurting. But it was hard. And now, I feel like for the first time in two years, my little family is experiencing such a season of peace. A calm. A moment in time where we can just rest and be strengthened. Where we can breathe a little easier. And I don't know how long it will last- maybe even just this moment? - but I'm diggin' it, and I'm drinking it in deep.
A couple weeks ago, the Hubs took a new job at a company that treats him well and is working in a role that he loves. It has been a bumpy ride in the occupation department in the past, and we are so grateful for this opportunity. We've felt the challenge of being a stay-at-home Mom/one income family since the day I quit working to stay home with Newbie, and it certainly puts a lot of pressure on the Hubs in the j-o-b department. I'm so proud of him for continually trusting God to provide, and we are just thrilled with his recent job change. He is happy and working hard, and it is so nice to see him love what he does. With this new job and the steady routine we're falling into, it feels like things are finally slowing down a bit after a crazy couple years losing Eden and then moving and then losing Jubilee. The summer was busy, and we were numb for a good portion of it. Its just been a wild ride.
I'm so thankful for this change in season, and in my spirit I feel very much like God is blessing us with "a time of peace" where we will be strengthened and encouraged by the Holy Spirit. Our hearts are still aching, as they always will, and there is still a lot to process, but we can breathe a little easier in these days. While we know (oh, how we know!) change happens, and there's just about always something around the corner, we are giving praise for this quiet bend along the autumn road and letting our souls rest in Him.
Here's to autumn and the beautiful peace that comes when we are still and know that He is God.

(I'm not the only one digging this season of rest! ...he is actually currently having a hay day because I have neglected to put him in bed for an on-time nap since I've been blogging...time for him to catch some more Z's!)
What a cute post and i LOVE it that God timed your season of rest just right for YOUR favorite season... FALL! Praying that this time of rest, healing, and strengthening is booked for the right amount of time and that it's just want you guys needed! Love you!
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said. I am so glad you are in this time of respite. Thank you for sharing that verse~what a precious reminder of God's hand in the midst of our lives...slowing things down to replenish and grow us; fill and refresh us.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the God work.