Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Birthday Bongos


**the attractiveness of this photo can be attributed to our pure enthusiasm over the opening of the first Sonic within 900 miles of our home. You just can't contain that kind of excitment.

I'd say "Happy Birthday, Mom!" but judging by past experience, I'm a little more than convinced Mom won't read this post 'til at least Christmas, and for that reason, I will say: "Merry Christmas, Mom!"

Just kidding. I will hold her Old Navy velour suit hostage until she reads this, and with that kind of incentive, who wouldn't hop online asap? Yes, she has one too. And to spare you the suspense of wonderment, so does my sister. And you probably need one too. Truly.

Anyway, Christmas and velour suits are not the point of this post (though I do love both Christmas and velour suits). The point of this post is to wish my momma a very HAPPY 50th BIRTHDAY!!! I figure it is ok to disclose the age in the event the birthday is a big one. Don't worry, Mom. Next year will be your 27th birthday on my blog. But this year is a special b-day and I have a special gift in the making that I may or may not be currently procrastinating over, and thus, here is the result of spending 43+ minutes uploading pictures celebrating the woman who I admire and love deeper than the holler, stronger than the river, higher than the pine tree growing tall up on the hill, and longer than the song of the whippoorwill. (In addition to Christmas and velour suits, I also love Randy Travis music.)

Mom,I hope you have a fabulous birthday, and I mean it when I say I hope I can be even half the momma to my children that you are to Courtney and me. =)



















I'm saving sappy and heartfelt for the gift I'm working on that is currently sitting in a bag on the dining room table, so I'll leave you with a song that encompasses oodles of birthday enthusiasm and sure got everybody up on their feet when I was in elementary school:

[insert birthday girl playing the bongos entirely off rhythm here]
"It's the birthday bongos, how old are you?
Can you tell the answer?
Can you give a clue?
You're growing, it's plain to see!
Play the birthday bongos for me!
Cha Cha Cha!
Are you 1 are ya 2 are ya 3 are ya 30
are ya 37 are ya 41 are ya 48
are ya 49 are ya 50?!?!? [insert "STOP" from birthday girl here]"

If you'd like to send a b-day wish more dignified than the Birthday Bongo jingle, please leave a comment for her 50th!

3 comments:

  1. HAPPY 50TH, Grandma!

    I love you (and not just because you give me peanut butter)

    xoxo

    Opie

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy birthday ms. melissa!! (i just called you that b/c mrs. heaton sounds too formal but melissa is not proper enough...) how about AUNT melissa?? Either way, hope it's a super one, and hope you have 50 more!

    and brittany- i love the pic of the stuff on your front porch! so bright and happy. annnnd you talk about your velour too much. haha :) jk.. but i'm pretty sure i know you have a velour suit. yep. i do.
    love ya!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...it's not quite Christmas (not even Halloween), but.....it did take me awhile to get some computer time. Thank you, sweet girl! You will be an INCREDIBLE momma...soon! Everytime I hear this song, I picture your beautiful gift and tear up. There's not a mom in the world that could be more blessed than me. God intrusted me with two of the most wonderful gifts - my girls (and the 2 guys they brought into our family). I am so thankful to have been able to watch Him work in each of your lives. I love you, sweetheart!

    ReplyDelete