Saturday, November 12, 2011

Home Away from Home

We're here.  At our home away from home.

And all I can say is: G-Mama can cook a mean chicken and veggie dinner. Moving in with my parents for the next several weeks might be the best decision we've ever made.

Yesterday may have been the last morning we spent like this:
(This pic was taken a few weeks ago- but its definitely a "day in the life" pic from our old house.)

But this morning started with Grandad's famous cinnamon toast and ended with a few helping hands to get dinner picked up while a few more hands helped with bathtime upstairs.  It takes a village, people, and this ain't a bad gig. =)

Last night my parents watched Newbie overnight while the Hubs and I hit the upstairs at the Old House like it was our last stand.  We spent three hours packing and hauling and packing, and by the time we were done and had loaded everything we were going to take to my parents' in the back of the moving truck, it was 11 o'clock at night.  

Usually by 11 we are watching re-runs on Hulu.com or snoozing.
But not last night, baby.

Since we had babysitters and had spent our "date night" working, we decided to take advantage of the break from being responsible adults. We up and drove that massive moving truck to the grocery store for donuts and Poptarts because WHY NOT.  We parked that huge sucker right in the middle of two parking spots and waltzed into that bakery like a coupl'a crazy kids.  It was awesome.  We blared Christmas music through the speakers on the way home, cramming donuts into our cake holes and then hit a sugar crash when we walked in the door and went to bed.  But we lived hard for that half hour, baby.  

I'm so grateful for the blessed changes that come with marriage and having a little family of our own, but I love me a good night out on the town with my man, a moving truck, and a few donuts.  AMEN.

(Random chubby baby picture circa fall 2010 compliments of Why Not? ...I'm a wild woman- I ate donuts in a moving truck at midnight, and here I am posting pictures that are completely contextually irrelevant.  What's next?!)
 
(Eek!  Here I go again! It's hard not to post adorable baby pictures when I'm drowning in an ocean of sentiment and moving upheaval.  I'm blaming the sleep deprivation due to our late night excursion to the grocery store and the incredible collection of pictures I have stored up on my database.)
 
(How do you not post this???  Last one. I promise.)

This morning we unloaded our loot at G-Mama's and Grandad's.  We had a lot of loot.  Mainly because I'm not sure if we'll be here for two weeks or a few months, but also because I've never been a light packer and what if I need a few extra pairs of shoes or blankets?  I mean, can you ever have too many blankets?  

My parents have been the picture of grace and hospitality, smiling the entire time we carted billions of boxes in the door and up the stairs.  My mom did a Goodwill closet overhaul to clear out room for us, and before dinner tonight, I had unloaded most of the boxes and really made it feel like home.  Which is not hard to do since our home hasn't felt like home in two weeks due to the excess amount of boxes and moving paraphernalia (don't give me credit for knowing how to spell that word, because before the spell check it said: "paraphanelia"...nobody wonders how I ended up with an English degree more than me, I can promise you that.)

Tomorrow is a big day.  Boxes to the warehouse for storage and if we get real crazy, furniture too.  I hate to say there is still a storage closet, a basement, and a garage to pack up and haul out, but there totally is.  We are going to go hard the next three days and somehow make it happen.  Yikes.

Regardless of the big to-do list ahead of us, and the craziness behind us, I'm feeling so grateful for this opportunity.  I'm thinking of where we were at this time last year when we had a round little baby boy and only dreamed of being able to sell our house and move a little closer to family, a little further from the city.
(My roly poly boy with his aunt Courtney last November.)

What an incredible blessing the past few weeks of house-selling mania have been.  I'm so excited to be stepping into this new adventure.

The Hubs and I know this transition time between houses is just a season, and we are going to savor every moment of the good company and extra help before we pack up and move into our new home.  We're still on the hunt and are confident in God's timing for our new place.  In the meantime, we're going to enjoy some cinnamon toast and chicken dinners. =)

Wishing you all a blessed Sunday!
 
(How fun is this picture of Newbie and Griffin I found??? They are still best buds...Newbie has been exclaiming "Giff'n!  Giff'n!" any time he sees Griffin come into the room. Though Opie is still his favorite- evidenced by the happy dance he does every morning when he comes downstairs and sees his puppy dog.)

PS- New pictures to come when I get my external hard drive set up with my mom's computer.  That's a tall order for a computer illiterate like myself, but I'll get it up and running as soon as I can. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment