Sunday, November 20, 2011

Thank You

There's a story in the Bible about ten men. One of our pastors shared this story with us today, and it was one that I was familiar with but had forgotten.  It's from Luke 17: 11-19.  There were ten men. They were sick with leprosy, and Jesus miraculously healed them as they walked by Him.  After being healed, nine of the men just kept walking. Only one of the men turned back, fell at Jesus' feet, thanked Him, and praised God for his healing.

The other nine just walked away.  They never came back. They took the gift they had been given and just kept on going.

The one took the gift, stayed, and couldn't stop thanking Jesus.

I don't want to stop thanking Jesus.  For everything.  Every gift. All the time.

I don't want to be the nine showered in blessing who continue to walk without expressing any gratitude. I want to have eyes to see Him in everything- I want to be aware of each and every gift He's given me, and to thank Him for the gifts.

(image found here)
So tonight, when Newbie was crying at the top of his lungs in his crib after I laid him down for bed, instead of banging my head against the wall and mentally begging that child to JUST GO TO SLEEP, I went into his room, and  I watched his little body calm with my return.  Two arms resting on the edge of the crib, I looked down and whispered that I loved him.  One of his arms clutched his blankie, his binky clicked with each little suck of his tongue, and one little hand reached up from where he lay in his bed and waited.  His tiny palm hung in the air until I offered my hand and his tightened around mine as he brought it close to his chest.  Then his heavy eyes closed.  His grip was firm, his soft face peaceful as he lulled off to sleep.  I stood there, drinking in my boy's sweetness and realizing God was giving me eyes to see- to see the gift. I was exhausted and tired, but nothing was going to keep me from reveling in the blessing that is my son. As I leaned against the crib, holding hands with my sweet baby, I thanked Jesus over and over again for my boy.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for this boy, Lord.  Thank you for his soft hands and his tiny breaths, and his sweet personality.  Thank you for this gift.    Thank you that I have a son who can wail at the top of his lungs, and thank you that my sweet boy has a momma and daddy who love him desperately and who can stand by his crib and hold his hand as he falls asleep. Then my thanks drifted to all manner of gifts.  My heart squeezed with gratefulness for everything.  All things.  Each and every single one.

I want to thank Jesus for everything.  When the Lord pours blessing on us, each of us, I want to be one of the ones who immediately turns to the Lord and says, thank you.

Thank you for food and clothes and the shoes on my feet.

Thank you for a home and a bed and warm blankets.

Thank you for my husband and my son and the joy they bring to my life just by being them.

Thank you for church and community.

Thank you for strangers and new friends.

Thank you for the rivers and trees and wind.

Thank you for cozy socks and hot coffee.

Thank you for health, thank you for family, for babies, for work, for play.

Thank you for giving up Your life so that I may have mine. 

Thank you for the big things and for the little things and for the hard things that make us stronger.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

With every breath I want to thank Him, living a life of gratitude that opens my eyes to the gifts the other nine may overlook.

Thank you for giving me nine weeks with my daughter and 19 months with my son.

Thank you, God, for today.  And thank you for tomorrow.

 Here dies another day, during which I have had eyes, ears, hands, and the great world around me; and with tomorrow begins another.  Why am I allowed two? -G.K.Chesterton

Hoping this Thanksgiving week is full of giving thanks to the Maker of all good things.  Let's be the one in ten, friends, because He is so, so good and worthy of praise.

Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song. Pslam 95:1-2 

No comments:

Post a Comment