Saturday, August 21, 2010

of vacuums and Spanish bad words

This morning I woke up cursing my vacuum cleaner, and by noon I was singing its praises.

I got a Hoover vacuum for my birthday last year and this morning after seeing Opie hair embedded in my carpet as I snuggled on the floor with Newbie, I decided to vacuum.

So I tried. And it didn't work. Again. It never works. Since Christmas the Hoover has not worked. After grumbling a Spanish expletive I learned in the second grade, I decided I had enough and I was going to take that sucker back to the store and speak to an entire totem pole of managers if I had to so I could get my money back and go home with a working vacuum.

Then, on a whim, as I dug through the box ready to pack up the vac, I decided to look at the instruction manual.

And right there, smack dab in the middle of the "trouble shooting guide" was a tell-all on how to fix the vacuum if it wasn't sucking anything up. Which was exactly my problem.

Turns out there was a massive clog in the tubes, and after scraping out what was enough hair to create a clone of Opie, the Hoover was up and running again.

You would have thought I won the lotto. If you know me well, you know I own just enough drama queen and lack just enough pride that I do not exaggerate when I say I ran around the house with my arms raised in triumph singing my very own version of the Hallelujah chorus. There is just something about vacuuming that liberates a germaphobe. And boy, was I ever liberated.

The reason this is so exciting is because I have been using my Shark carpet sweeper (which I LOVE) for the past 8 months to make up for the broken Hoover, but recently my Shark bit the dust and had to be repaired with duck tape. I am nothing if not resourceful. However, the duck tape job only worked for a few vacuum runs, hence my move to use the Hoover this morning in a desperate attempt to vacuum.

The End.

Now that you've read a novel on my vacuuming woes and triumphs, I promise a better post complete with birthday bash pics tomorrow. Here's wishing you all a fabulous weekend, and I hope your vacuum sucks. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment