Monday, May 23, 2011

We love us some green grass and sunscreen

Oh, the weekend we had! 

It involved lots of green grass and sunscreen and even a trip to DQ.  Doesn't get much better than that!
Last week was so busy for my little family that we were more than happy to plunge head first into a fun weekend together. 

Friday:
Friday the Hubs worked late, so that afternoon Newbie and I met up with G-Mama and went to the nursery to get some flowers for her yard.  I almost threw a hissy fit when I got out of the car and realized I had forgotten my camera.  It doesn't get much better than a one year old in plaid overalls running in and out of rows and rows of flowers, and I don't trust my memory to hold on to the adorable picture of him kicking his legs in the cart as we wove in and out of shelves and shelves of flowers.  He *loved* it, and I am determined to go back and snag some pictures when the Hubs and I go to get some flowers for the backyard.  It was such fun to watch my boy enjoy doing something I have always adored doing with my mom.  Gardening is just a fabulous time, no matter which way you slice it.

After flower shopping, it was back to Grandad and G-Mama's house for some fun out in the yard and some BBQ chicken.  Grandad and G-Mama know how to show Newbie a good time!

Saturday:
The Hubs had the whole weekend off, so we spent Saturday out on the town snagging some items for our vacation in a few weeks and getting Newbie his first bike helmet.  We've been itching to try out the little bike trailer he got for his b-day, and we had to get the right accessories so our little man could ride in style. Daddy-O treated us to lunch at the mall and then took us back home in time for naps all around.  Saturday night we had a quick dinner and met up with Aunt Corndog and Uncle J to pass out a couple hugs before they left for Disney World.  Newbie LOVES his aunt and uncle, and I'm sure he'll be devastated in a few years when he is old enough to know they took off for Disney World without him. =) 

Sunday:
We started off with early service at church where Newbie boycotted nursery like it was his job.  It was awful.  He didn't even stop crying when I stormed the nursery gate and went in there to play with him.  Ugh.  So we went into "big church" to worship together and then slipped out as the sermon started before Newbie started squawking over our pastor's voice.  We'll try again next week and hope for better results with Round 9!

After church we zipped over to the ballpark to have a picnic lunch before heading in for the game with our friends Mr. B, Miss A, and sweet Baby B.  We had such fun with these good friends, though the boys didn't last for long.  I think we made it through the bottom of the 4th before the raging heat chased us all back to the AC in our cars.
A few of those pictures crack me up because you can tell the little boys were just begging for some naps and AC! Ha! This one really says it all...T-minus 2 seconds before we threw in the towel:

("Are we seriously still here?!"......why is this picture sideways??? I can't get it to flip- sorry!)

Newbie was wiped out after the game, but a poor transition from carseat to crib left us with a tired sunscreened baby who didn't want to nap.  Totally my bad.  Never, NEVER should have tried to change that diaper mid-nap.  Boo! 

Whats a mama and daddy to do when its 80 degrees outside and the baby boy won't nap? Why, strip the baby down to his diaper and toss him and the puppy out in the yard with a water table, of course! 

Newbie thought the water table was an absolute riot on the heat.  He splashed and hauled toys out of the table and over to Opie and back again.  He must have made 40 laps around the backyard before the afternoon was over.  He got a kick out of carrying buckets of water over to Opie to drink, and he loved trying to squirt his daddy with the canon in the water table. 
By the time we headed back inside, we decided it was the perfect afternoon to skip a nap. =)


Dinner was a less-than-perfect homemade BBQ chicken pizza.  I can't determine what went wrong other than the fact that our cooking sheets from college could probably stand to be replaced.  Because the cookie sheet was so worn, I lined it in foil and BOY HOWDY was that a bad idea.  Cheese, chicken, green pepper and aluminum on that pizza, sir?  No problem. You've come to the right place.  Yuck!

Last night Newbie crashed super early and the Hubs and I had our first movie night in a long time. the Hubs made a DQ run for Oreo blizzards and we had ourselves a grand 'ol time. Then we hit the hay early because there's nothing like a long weekend playing in the sun to wipe you out. 

This afternoon Newbie is still busy recovering from his long weekend.  He's taken two naps today, and it's only 1:30.  I think the little guy might be working on his two front teeth because he's been a little out of sorts today.  The sooner he pops a few more pearly whites, the sooner he gets to chomp on some cookies, so the more the merrier!

We have a busy week ahead.  We're kitty sitting for the sibs while they hang out with Mickey, and we're planning on trying to dodge the rain and squeeze in a couple play dates despite the chance of showers throughout the week.  For now, I'm off to switch out the laundry that was neglected all weekend...oh yes, big plans today.  Big plans.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment