Take me out to the ballgame
Take me out to the crowd
Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks
I don't care if I ever get back
For its root! root! root! for the home team
If they don't win its a shame
For its one, two, three strikes, you're out
At the old ball game!
As if the beautiful weather wasn't enough, I was in hog heaven because I LOVE a good ball game. The sounds, the smells, the sights. I played softball for 10 years, and there's just something about being back at the field that brings on a flood of great memories and a love of the game.
The Hubs, of course, is also an avid fan, having played baseball through his sophomore year in high school and having a general love for every sport known to man as long as it doesn't involve somersaults or pom-poms.
He was so jazzed about taking us to the game. We were all decked out in our baseball best and had a spread of hotdogs and beans with Aunt Corndog and Uncle J before leaving for the diamond. When we got there, it was all popcorn and cotton candy and lemon chills and beverages that cost an arm and a leg, but ya just gotta do it because you're at the BALL GAME.
We even bought a soft baseball for Newbie at the souvenir shop.
Oh yes, we went ALL OUT. That was three dollars well spent until he dropped it into a puddle of someone's melted snowcone. I remember getting the same soft baseball from the same shop when I was a kid, and it was such a joy to share the fun with my son. I was on cloud nine. And so was the Hubs, because at three o'clock, when Newbie had fallen asleep against my chest in the baby carrier and it was bottom of the fifth with two ducks on the pond, and the crowd was cheering and the sun was shining and the cotton candy was a' flowing, the Hubs looked over at me and said, "This is just perfect. PERFECT."
Because I suppose as a husband and daddy, it doesn't get much better than sharing your joy in a bit of Americana on a Sunday afternoon at the baseball field with the two people you pour your life into leading and loving.
And share we did. We drank up the day and made some memories.
And it was good.
When we got home, we spent the evening on the porch, soaking in the heat of the day and watching Newbie toddle around his water table in his dido.
As I tucked Newbie into bed last night, my heart was so full of good memories and gratefulness it could have burst. I am so thankful for days God fills with joy and goodness, wraps up and then ties with a bow.
Hoping you have a day tied up with a bow this week, friends!












This post makes me so happy! It truly sounds like the perfect day! Ours was about as good...a welcome relief after the winter! The pics are so cute!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness! What a cute post! Love all the pictures and especially the one of the back of Newbie's uniform and backwards hat! OMG! SOOOO cute! Sounds like you made Newbie's first ballgame a perfect memory! And WHAT is that watertable thing!?!?!! I have never seen one, but it looks like it could very well be a summer staple??? You've gotta tell me about this one!
ReplyDelete