Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Would you like some toilet paper with that rootbeer?

Sorry about the sappy Dear Diary post yesterday....I just couldn't help myself- the nostalgia is setting in, and the lump in my throat has made an appearance more than once or twice in the past 48 hours.

However, today I come to you with tidings of nothing sentimental.

Instead, I will share a lesson I learned the hard way, which is how I learn most lessons because I seem to think its more fun that way....or something.

It goes like this: Never decide to paint your bathroom orange.  Just don't do it.

And especially don't decide to do it a few days before your realtor sends a photographer over to take pictures that will be posted on the Internet for potential home buyers to see.

BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE CRAZY!

But, crazy is what we're good at around here.

And so, it happened.

Thaaaaaat's right.

Let me break it down for you:

On a whim last weekend I decided it would be a brilliant idea to paint one wall in my chocolate brown bathroom and bright and happy poppy field orange. 

Yes, ORANGE.

I wanted something happy and fun and who-cares-because-we're-about-to-sell-this-place-anyway-and-why-not-have-a-little-mid-life-crisis-in-the-bathroom-wall-color-department?!

I know, I'm a genius.

When I finished last Saturday night, I was so proud.  So very, very proud of my happy, brilliant orange accent wall in my chocolate brown bathroom. 

Until my sister came over on Sunday and said it looked like someone should be serving A&W rootbeer floats in there instead of using the toilet. 

(You have to love the straight-shooters in your life who just tell it like it is.)

It appeared I had created an A&W Rootbeer joint in my own half bath.

If only that were true and I really could have rootbeer floats and french fries at my disposal, I might have let it go.

But alas, it was not true.  The only truth to it was that the color was heinous and it would undoubtedly repel any potential home buyers.

And so, 48 hours before our photographer was to be at the door, I grabbed a brush and a bad attitude and went about the task of painting over a ridiculously orange wall with a calm and quiet dark chocolate brown.

All was well again until the paint dried, and I realized late last night that there are little specks of orange scattered throughout the wall.

And that's when, after officially having painted the wall twice, and being on a deadline with our realtor, I decided, TOO BAD!  It will just be a little game guests can play when they're hanging out in our downstairs bathroom....hmm....how many remnants of our A&W can you find?!  Or like a little Easter egg hunt year-round in the water closet or a "Where's Waldo" party on the wall.

Fabulous.

And that, my friends, is why insanity and rootbeer and deadlines and bright orange and first birthday parties and real estate don't mix.

Aren't you glad you stopped by for that pearl of wisdom?

Me too.

In other news, the Hubs has today and tomorrow off, and we are living it up, baby.

Today we took Opie to the dog park, then hit up the gardens for a little sunburn, then came home to work in the flower beds and clean out the garage.  Tonight it's party planning and movie night and we might even toss in some grocery shopping if we decide we'd rather eat food than cardboard for dinner.

Yessiree, big day around here, BIG DAY.

I might be MIA the next few days due to a certain someone's FIRST BIRTHDAY and all the presents and surprises and goodies we have planned, but I'll be back with pictures and stories galore soon!

Wishing you all a wonderful Wednesday and fabulous bathroom decor that isn't edging on 50's diner appeal!

2 comments:

  1. L.O.L I knew exactly what this post was about when I saw the title! You always make me laugh! I was hoping for a picture of that orange with this post! You DEFINITELY could have used a glass of champagne in that left hand while you were painting over the orange. You poor thing! Forget about the root-beer stand and focus on your boy and his party now, because baby boy only turns ONE once. ENJOY don't let it go too fast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww come on...we don't get to see a pic of the orange wall?!? :) Dang

    ReplyDelete