Dear Rain,
Go away.
Not-so-sincerely,
Me
It has rained and rained and rained here. Remember the ball park? 80 degrees? Lemon Chills? Sunburns? Yeah. Definitely a distant memory. That was only a few weeks ago, but we've had cold, wet weather for the past two weeks straight and it has seriously put a bee in my bonnet.
This morning Newbie walked into the playroom/den after breakfast, and when I put up the baby gate blocking the door, he threw his first tantrum, complete with tears and melting into the floor with his forehead against the carpet all because we have spent days on end in these four walls, and he is just as sick of them as I am.
But the good news is, the sun came out this afternoon. I don't know how long it plans to stay, but when Newbie gets up from his nap we are going to Carpe Diem it, baby. I am aching to take some pictures of the tulips that are finally preparing to bloom and the tight buds on the maple trees that are beginning to loosen and blossom.
I love exploring Spring in my backyard.
And I love green.
*LOVE*
My friend just asked me on the phone if I had a green thumb because there are lilies and tulips in my yard, and I had to laugh and tell her about the hostas I let the slugs or skunks or squirrels eat to smithereens last year. The poor things have packed their bags and refused to return to my yard this year because they know how lacking my thumb is in the green department.
And I didn't tell her about the lilac sprig I tried to transplant in my yard having taken it from my mom's house the spring before last. That thing hasn't bloomed a single blossom in two years, and the only thing to show for my lamesauce attempt is a pile of Miracle Grow top soil where the lilac bush should be.
BUT my heart is in it, and that has got to count for something. I love enjoying Creation in the spring and summer and savoring the colors of the season- seeing a rainbow of flowers in my yard across a brilliant green background- it just makes me so, so happy.
Picking out flowers for the flower bed was always something my mom and I did together each year growing up. It was totally our thing. My mom and I are close, so we have a lot of things, but working in the flowerbed was definitely one of them. I am itching to get to her yard and swipe some of her yellow day lilies because they are my favorite and I love the idea of having a bit of "Home" in my yard.
And don't even get me started on Mutte's greenhouse and the cotton she grows in her yard in Texas because oh, how I loved walking the perimeter of her yard and enjoying all matter of plants and flowers as a little girl. LOVED it.
The past two weeks I keep peeking out the window hoping for a sunny day when I can stick Newbie in his pack 'n play and start working in the flower bed like crazy. I'm still waiting, but today looks like it might at least dry up enough for us to venture out and do some exploring- see what is blooming and what decided to pack up and head out like the hostas.
In other news, today is Grandad's birthday, so Newbie and I made something of our rainy day and met G-Daddy for lunch then went to his office so he could show Newbie around and introduce him to a few friends. Newbie, of course, enjoyed every bit of the afternoon, and especially appreciated the piece of cheese G-Daddy had tucked away in case his mama forgot to pack him enough food for lunch. Newbie and G-Daddy are cheese buddies- G-Daddy always manages to find some of Newbie's new favorite (cheese!) to share when they're together. Newbie LOVES it.
(oh yes, we totally rock holiday bibs year-round)




HAHA! Ok, seriously now, I want a tour of your flower beds. For real. CUTE pictures of Newb and G-Daddy! His office looks SWEET! And it's just amazing how much more confident Newbie is walking now than he was just a week or so ago! Crazy how fast they pick that up!
ReplyDelete