This morning Newbie had a quick appointment at the doctor to get a booster shot. The Hubs and I came up with this brilliant idea to give him the complementary lollipop before and during the appointment, as opposed to the usual end of the appointment, in the hopes that the artificial grape flavor would distract Newbie and keep the tears at bay.

It was not as brilliant as it sounds. Moments after this picture was taken, the nurses walked in, poked him, and the flood gates opened. He was fine as soon as I scooped him up off the table, but the bottom line: lollipops don't cut it, Sugar. Shots are still the stink.
Also, we ran into my OB in the office waiting room. I probably don't need to tell you that there are about 87 reasons why that was awkward. It was a lot like seeing your teacher at the grocery store. What is she doing here? Doesn't she live at school? It just. shouldn't. happen. The end.
After the appointment, we went to the gardens just long enough for Newbie to get soaked by the fountains then zipped over to Jimmy John's for some freaky fast subs before the Hubs hit the road for work. Newbie loves his daddy and has been such a ham lately. I'm not really sure what he's doing in this picture, but you can bet he's yucking it up for his daddy-O.
This afternoon I cleaned the house, (I have a thing for clean houses going into the weekend) and let me tell you something: cleaning the house with a toddler in tow in not easy. It is a full fledged workout and then some. Which means its totally OK that I threw an extra handful of sugar into the watermelon granitas I made tonight.
After cleaning the house, I was a shadow of the woman I once was. In an attempt to make dinner easy, I pulled up a Stromboli recipe I found online a couple weeks ago and decided to give it a whirl. The recipe was advertised as "quick and easy", so I figured it was a shoo-in. Shoe-in. Shew-in. Shhhooooo-in.
As I'm working my way through the first steps of the recipe, I'm seriously beginning to question both the "quick" and the "easy". I was exhausted and the steps seemed a bit labor intensive. All I wanted was something fast for dinner. I coulda just made mac and cheese, for crying out loud, but I chose this path instead because I thought I could trust the cook behind the recipe when I read "quick and easy".
Ya think ya know a guy.
You can imagine my irritation when I looked to the recipe and read: "Now, this kind of dough can be tough to pull apart, so just be patient."
That's when I lost it and started talking back to the recipe card.
"DON'T YOU SASS ME! Don't you know I just cleaned the entire house?!?! Who says you are quick and easy?!?! I AM ABOUT TO GO KUNG FU ON YOUR STROMBOLI HINEY!"
And then I did. I went kung fu on that sucker and threw it in the oven and choked it down in all its "quick and easy" glory and then I vowed to never ever make it again because what kind of recipe throws that kind of sass at a momma who is just trying to find a viable substitute for mac and cheese?
And you know who else wasn't a big fan of said "quick and easy" Stromboli?
This guy:
That is one very unhappy camper, folks.
From now on, we're stickin' to mac and cheese. And yes, I will be fishing green beans and Stromboli out of Newbie's nose tonight at bathtime. Do not let anyone tell you raising a toddler is anything but glamorous.
Wishing you all a happy Thursday free of recipe drama. =)




No comments:
Post a Comment