Sunday, January 3, 2010

Good to the last drop

We spent the last hours of our Christmas break venturing to the ends of the earth with Bear Grylls. I have never seen anything more disgusting than watching that guy prep a calico caterpillar for dinner. Oh. My. Gross. I finally decided to turn my head away anytime Bear said, "An this stuff is actually quite edible." Because it inevitably meant he was going to pop it into his mouth and stuff was going to gush out, and then we would receive a full status report on the way it tasted so we didn't feel the need to go scrounge up some sea cucumber for ourselves. When someone says, "it tastes as if all your pals put together all their boogies and stuffed them into a sausage skin," you kind of decide to pass on the sample spoon, thankyouverymuch. Anyway, I got a kick out of turning my eyes away just enough to block the tv screen, but also see all of the hubby's facial expressions as he watched every last bite. I figure I need to put in my time watching something the male species considers entertaining if I'm going to be raising a little boy soon. Bear Grylls seemed like a good place to start.

After clocking in our hours with Bear, and learning how to survive on a desert island or in a motor propelled parachute cruising over Mount Everest (thank goodness we now know what to do in those situations), the hubby suggested we watch one of his new hunting videos. Here's the thing: that didn't sound like any fun to me at all, and I had already put in my soon-to-be-mom-of-a-little-boy time. So naturally, when the hubs popped in his video, I made my way on over to the computer to catch up on my pressing blogging schedule. So many blogs to read, so little time.

As I caught up on the latest Pioneer Woman happenings, I hear the hubby laughing out loud and look over to see this:



It was the hub's dream come true. He has always wanted a hunting dog. At least, he's wanted a hunting dog since the day we brought home our puggle, who is anything but a hunting dog. We still aren't sure why we brought home a puppy who was bursting with energy and has an obsessive desire to exercise his vocal chords anytime the wind blows outside. But he is a good snuggler and has some seriously cute wrinkles. So we'll keep him. Especially since he's begun to show an interest in his daddy's favorite past time. The hubs was so proud. And they're both still snuggled up on the couch enjoying the sweet sounds of geese hunting, men grumbling, and guns shooting. The perfect bedtime story.

1 comment:

  1. This kind of sounds like the end of our holiday break.. except we have been watching a marathon of LA Police Academy ALL DAY! I miss you love! Hug little Jackson for me! :)

    ReplyDelete