Thursday, February 24, 2011

Just this moment

After nursing for 10 months, I've started to wean Newbie, and the process is so bittersweet.

(Disclaimer: If that last sentence was too much information for ya, you might want to pack your bags now, because this entire post is full to the brim with female sentiment.  =])

Part of the weaning process is exciting because it means my little guy is just getting bigger and bigger each day, and I have so much fun watching him grow.  But part of the process means he is moving forward and not so much a baby anymore. *tear*

I wanted to take a moment to reflect and take a deep breath before stepping into the next chapter of raising a not-so-teensy baby boy.  Newbie is growing up so fast in so many ways, and I wanted to freeze life for a moment, just the way it is, before we move forward so I can look back and remember what life was like before sippy cups and all manner of big boy things took over.

If I were to freeze life for just this moment, this is what I'd find:

Toys crammed into each nook and cranny of our family room


A rocking chair faithfully welcoming some cuddle or story time


A stash of diapers in at least three different places throughout the house


A baby monitor hiding out in a corner of whatever room is occupied at nap time


A basket full of board books anxious to be explored and spread across the room


A tiny coat and hat for bundling before we walk out the door


A smattering of bottles and bitty spoons and bowls in a sink brimming with everyday dishes


Always a bib sitting out on the counter waiting for breakfast...or lunch...or dinner


A stray binky and sippy cup on my nightstand, and our video monitor resting up for the long night ahead


A stocked diaper bag ready to scurry out the door


A tub all set for bedtime bubble baths


Favorite books wandering the floors beneath curious and tiny little fingers


Rubber ducky and blankie lying in the nursery: two can't-do-without friends when bedtime rolls around


...and some Infant Ibuprofen on stand-by for those long nights of teething.  Just keepin' it real. =)


Some of these things will stay the same for a while, and some of these things will change and be gone in the blink of an eye, but one thing's for sure: while I look through the snapshots of life as we know it, Newbie is screeching and bouncing in his seat because growing up to be a big boy is such fun, and sippy cups are just the cat's meow.  I don't want to miss another minute! I'm off to celebrate with my little man and toast to his latest step in getting SO BIG!

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! LOVE this post! :) The diaper drawer picture is GRAND! My favorite is how the light is spilling into the picture and onto the diapers! Love that you photographed every room in the house! What a good Momma. See you in a few!!! :)

    ReplyDelete