Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Snuffy and The Croup

What's worse than an epic blizzard headed in your direction?

"THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALL BETWEEN LATE TUESDAY EVENING AND DAYBREAK WEDNESDAY MORNING. ONE TO TWO INCH PER HOUR SNOW RATES CAN BE EXPECTED DURING THIS TIME. * STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 14 INCHES CAN BE EXPECTED FROM LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON TO WEDNESDAY EVENING."

An epic blizzard headed in your direction and a sweet baby boy down with The Croup, that's what.


Newbie woke up last night sounding like a seal who'd been smoking 8 packs a day for 90 years.  His cough was thick and heavy, though he was really mellow about it, like he wakes hacking up a lung every night, no biggie.  I snatched him up, changed his diaper, took his temp (no fever), turned on the humidifier, woke up the Hubs, and proceeded to dote on my little man until he was snuggled up next to me in his nursery, sound asleep on our Coleman queen size inflatable mattress.   After all, doting is what mama's are for, right?

It's amazing to me how as a mama, sometimes you just know. I felt Newbie's little hands and forehead last night as he was hacking, and I just knew we were in for it.  Then I read up on bad coughs in my copy of What to Expect the First Year, and I really knew. We've got a case of The Croup, and we might be in for a long coupla nights.  The good news is, the nurse said for the most part, Newbie will only be feeling really crummy at night, and during the day he'll be feeling better.  So he's been playing hard all morning. =) Any prayers for my little man would be greatly appreciated!  It looks like we might be spending the night alternating between the steam of the shower and the crispy chill of the night air.


Newbie looks awfully pitiful in these pictures, but he's been cruising around the den dumping out all his toys and downing the water in his sippy cup, so don't worry...that's just his snuggly face. =)

The Hubs has told me he's shipping Newbie and I out to my mom's house because there's a blizzard the size of the Snuffleupagus headed our way, and he doesn't want us stranded here with a sick little boy and no heat, or worse, no Netflix (eek!) while he works tomorrow.  I love that man.  He knows me so well.

Snuffy not ringing a bell?  Here's a little refresher from The Street:

(How did I not have nightmares about the Snuffleupagas as a kid?  Weird.)

Grandad and G-Mama have a generator, so we're shipping out this afternoon for a Blizzard Croup party at their house.  I'm bringing my book and my slippers and anticipating a lot of snuggling by the fireplace for the next 48 hours.

Before The Croup hit last night, Newbie had a whale of a time playing with Mama's cell phone.  I'm thinking if all else fails today and he's feeling really crummy, I'll just toss my cell his direction and win us at least three full minutes of quiet entertainment.
 




Over the course of five minutes with my cell phone, Newbie managed to store three new phone numbers and change the wallpaper.  I was impressed. =)

Word on the street is, The Croup just has to work its way through and is nothing that some good cuddling and cartoons can't fix after a few days.  So we're off to hunker down until The Croup and the gnarly blizzard of 2011 pass.  Wishing you all a warm and healthy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment