Yesterday Newbie was a little wound up at nap time, and after trying his crib for a while, I caved and brought him into bed to snuggle with me. The sun was out, the temps were warmer than they've been in a while, I cracked a window, and I had just changed the sheets on the bed...it was the perfect setup for a fabulous afternoon nap.
I told Newbie he had to lie down next to me or he was going to have to go back to his own bed.
Newbie: "Mommy's bed." [places his head on the pillow]
Me: "You can stay in Mommy's bed as long as you lie down and take a nap."
I closed my eyes, thinking he might actually start snoozing right away. (Wrong).
Newbie: "Onnnnnne....twwwwooooo....FREE! FOWA! Yea. Yea. R in Ti-tago? Yea. Too-Tee in ses-sas? Yea. Daddy a wook. Gym. Gym."
I kept my eyes shut, hoping he'd take the hint and settle down.
Newbie: "Ah-choo! Ahhhhh-choooo! Ah-CHOO! AHHH-CHOOOOOOOO!" (The best part about this series is that it absolutely started out in a whisper like he was testing the waters, and then escalated when he realized I wasn't opening my eyes.)
Then, I feel a tiny set of fingers start to pry my eyelid open. Wow. Now there's a finger touching my actual factual eye. Impressive. I hold my ground. I'm not saying it felt good. I'm just saying I really wanted to take a nap.
Newbie: "Mommy seeping."
The fingertips give up.
Now I have a foot on my face.
Teensy toes are touching my mouth...no, wait- teensy toes are now prying my mouth open. What. is. happening?!
I seal my lips tight and try not to laugh out loud. My frame is shaking with my withheld chuckles, and I finally crack a lid.
With a not-so-big big toe resting right on my lip, I look over to see the biggest ever grin on Newbie's little face. He starts busting a gut laughing, triumphant that his foot-in-the-face trick finally won me over.
He sits up and starts crawling down to the foot of the bed, ready to make a nap time escape since Mommy's up and his scheme worked.
I was torn. He sure wanted to play. But I knew an afternoon without a nap would soon not be an afternoon at all. It would be a meltdown fest all the way up to bedtime. I had to stick to my resolve. Adorable foot escapade and all.
Me: "If you lie down in Mommy's bed you can stay here, otherwise you're going back to your bed."
He stops dead in his tracks, races back up to his place in the middle of the big king size bed and slams his head down on the pillow. All smiling has ceased. There is nothing worse than being demoted back to your own crib after you have successfully finagled your way into the coveted king-size bed. Head smooshed deep into the pillow, his serious little mouth curves behind his binky and says, "Mommy's bed. Mommy's bed."
Ah ha! Gotcha.
Me: "Do you want some covers?"
Newbie: "Yea. Nigh' nigh' Mommy."
I tuck him in, kiss his soft forehead and tell him to sleep good.
And we do. For a solid two hours with the sounds of a sunny winter day slipping in through the window and the covers pulled all the way up to our necks.
It was lovely.
Wishing you all a happy, adorable foot-in-the-face kind of weekend. =)
No comments:
Post a Comment