Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sprinkles & Wrinkles

I started this blog because I've been inspired by the dozens of Christian blogs I've stumbled upon in the past month and thought documenting our days as toast-burning, laundry-drowning, dog-homeschooling, downtown-city-living newlyweds might be fun.


I made a list of 13 different blog names before I exhausted all my creativity and called the Bossman. After hearing his incredibly festivious suggestion to name my blog "Freckle's Thoughts," I hung up the phone and got to work on another list. I asked myself, "what is there a lot of in my life?" My eyes fell on the puggle perched in my lap, slurping up my cherry itallian soda, flecks of whip cream flying up into the air, effectively coating his plethora of pug-inherited wrinkles. Wrinkles!


There are definitely a lot of wrinkles in my life. Wrinkles which proceeded to consume a cardboard box upon jumping out of my lap. I typed wrinkles onto the screen and glanced at my shirt sleeve. Just what I thought. Completely and entirely wrinkled- it was clear I was trying to acheive that "hey look at me! I never do my laundry, and I always leave clothes sitting in the washer for weeks on end before drying them and then wearing them!" look. Wrinkles would definitely work as a blog title documenting my life as a newlywed.


Though I had stumbled upon the word that perfectly described my inner housekeeper, I felt a little guilty simply leaving the title as wrinkles because Opie has definitely added a lot of spunk and uninhibited energy to our lives. I mean, he’s not all bad, not to mention that earlier this week I did do one load of laundry, so not every piece of clothing sitting in our laundry room was wrinkled. Hence came the sprinkles. Because I have always and forever had Funfetti birthday cake (going on 23 years) and will never turn down rainbow sprinkles on an already doomed-to-be-consumed chocolate frosted donut.

After all, life isn’t all wrinkles…you get the sprinkles too!

Some sprinkles may show up in the form of finding a cotton candy stand in the middle of the USA Rugby game at Toyota Park in Chicago...and convincing the hubby to buy one for you regardless of the fact that it's only sugar and high fructose corn syrup lightly toasted to a fluffy consistency and selling for the bargain price of only $8.50.




Wrinkles may be mammoth mountains of laundry that have literally never been completely washed, dried, and put away since you got married two years ago.




Sprinkles: a quiet night camping out under the stars with family



Wrinkles: a full throttle weed ambush in your backyard only weeks before you put your house up for sale


Sprinkles: your bestie having a new baby and getting to visit at the hospital


Wrinkles: being just out of reach of that thing you want the most (be it a teaching job, a house in the country, or a bowl of macaroni and cheese)


Sprinkles: lounging out by the pool reading a good book

Wrinkles: running into a man eating mechanical anaconda-popping out of the ceiling no less!- in the middle of The Rainforest Cafe with only a new custom tailered driver to employ as defense

Sprinkles: the sister and brother-in-law getting engaged


Wrinkles: getting lost in downtown Chicago during rush hour

Sprinkles: the hubby graduating from college after working fulltime and taking 16 credits each year for four solid years!


You get the picture(s).
So welcome to our life of Sprinkles and Wrinkles, where we're surviving and thriving as newlyweds (well, sometimes.)
*Freckles*

1 comment:

  1. bert-- i cannot believe my picture made your sprinkle list. that rocks! :)

    ReplyDelete