Thursday, February 18, 2010

And the sunglasses came out of hiding

Sunshine, where, sweet love, have you been?!?

The sun is blazing today. For the first time in I can't remember when. And it is a little eye-opening because I realized this morning that I have definitely been suffering from some sort of seasonal- this snow is never going away and is the sky ever going to look like something other than low hanging clouds?!?- disorder all winter long. I was in a brilliant mood when I woke up this morning. A way better mood then I have been in a long time. Because I could wear my sunglasses, forgo the coat (I'm a raging pregnant inferno these days and get too hot when I wear one), and I could sense that spring is right around the corner. It may be a 2 to 3 month long corner, but I can handle it. As long as I know its out there somewhere.

This afternoon I took one of the little ladies up to her room for nap time. I told her older sister, who was sitting on a sunny patch of carpet, that she could sit in the sunshine until I tucked in her younger sister, then it would be her turn to go to her room. Oh. My. Goodness. Has it come to this?!? The poor child. The sweet little bundle I was ushering off to nap lost it. She started wailing, reaching for the sunlit patch of carpet, and yelling in great agony, "BUT I LOVE THE SUNSHINE!!! I WANT THE SUN! I LIKE THE SUNSHINE! I WANT TO SIT IN IT!!!" And that's when I started crying with her. Feeling every bit of 8 months pregnant, it doesn't take a lot to bring a woman to tears...because I love the sunshine too, and sweet mercy, it has been far too long since we saw it. OK, so I didn't really cry, but I wanted to. Unfortunately, I drained a good store of ugly cries last night when I let the hormones take over after seeing a sink full of dirty dishes and realizing that the Hubs really meant it when he said he was giving up TV for Lent and so now who would watch American Idol with me?!? Had the world gone mad?!? Alas,two puffy eyes and a swollen nose later, I had no more tears to shed. But really, what has the climate come to when a little two year old and her 24 year old nanny stand in tears at the top of the stairs because it has just been that long since they have seen the glory that is sunshine?!?! Spring cannot come soon enough. Our peaceful nap times depend on it. And everyone loves nap time.

So here's to being so grateful for the break in the clouds today and to the promise of spring not-so-far away and to stashing away the ice sticks and pine cones and whipping out the flowers and artificial lemon vase fillers because there's only so much snow and ice one woman can take in a year. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. love that story :) and i just have to say.. would you post something already!? :)

    ReplyDelete