Monday, February 1, 2010

Hey Bauer, pass the flour

Jack Bauer was in the kitchen making Pioneer Woman's chicken fried steak tonight.

OK, so he wasn't really there. I was. But I was wishing I had some Bauer power when I stepped into the kitchen to whip up some chicken fried steak for dinner before 24 tonight. I may have southern roots and a mom who cooks like a champ, but frying stuff in oil and boiling potatoes and "dredging" things in flour scares me.

Here's a play by play assessment of the damage:





Note #1: I have no idea why P-Dub didn't warn me to don my protective eyewear. As soon as the oil heated up there was an enormous amount of screaming in agony as I ran around the kitchen trying to find oven mitts for each hand and sun glasses for my eyes before the house exploded and took me with it.

Note #2: I'm not sure why my gravy turned out more like a paste than a gravy. Or hummus. Yes. It was pretty hummus-ish. So I followed my own best rule when it comes to cuisine: when in doubt, smother it in ketchup.

Note #3: It is important to make note of my past and present stress level regarding this meal. I was stressed out before. I was stressed out during. And I was stressed out after. I'm pretty convinced the ordeal that is chicken fried steak is not going to show its face around here again.

From here on out, me and Bauer are sticking to our mac & cheese. And ice cream.

1 comment:

  1. i love how clip art of bauer shows up randomly in posts. can you do one of me with my arm around him please? or better yet, me with my arm around hugh jackman? thanks.
    also, i'm impressed with the steaks. nice work m.b! this is just my guess to why the gravy turned out pasty-- too much flour. but i really have no clue.
    and i think it's hilarious you got assigned jury duty for baby's due date. hilarious.
    that is all.

    ReplyDelete