Saturday, February 13, 2010

"Beat that drum a little louder"

Notes on the 2010 Winter Olympic Games:

The Hubs and I sat down at 7 to catch the opening ceremonies last night. I was all geeked for a fantastic show reminiscent of a Broadway production, only with people dressed up for a blizzard.

Three hours later, all the teams finally made their way to their seats, and I decided to go to bed. I just didn't have it in me to stay up and watch what I had dreamed up to be a fantastic combination of Broadway's The Lion King and the movie Iron Will. But I did make a few mental notes based on the 3 hours I was able to watch without propping my eyelids open.

1) A big inflatable snowboarding hill? Really? I was hoping it was some sort of enormous trampoline the athletes would all somersault down or something. But I did enjoy the Canadian scenery featured in the video previous to the inflatable stunt.

2) Mr. Lauren, why the chunky off white sweater/bulky brown boots/baggy leggings/poofy coat combo? I was loving the moose hat. But not the rest. Not. the. rest. Although, had I seen those boots in junior high, I totally would have bought them. Well, I would have begged my parents to and promised to pay them back with my allowance.

3)Whoa, Nellie. Beat that drum a little louder and make those heels a little higher. Sheesh. How was she walking in those things? Every ounce of my pregnant off-kilter equilibrium admired her balance.

4)Sir flying red tomato, my snowboarding husband explained what your new "double cork" trick will look like. Wowza. I will be tuning in, because I can only imagine how incredible those curly locks will look barrelling through the air at 460 miles per hour doing 18 twists and 2 flips all in one move. I am rooting for you. And so is the Hubs.

5) When I turned on the games today, there were a bunch of women on skis with something tied onto their backs. I asked the Hubs what it was. Because he is my go-to guy for winter sports information. He explained that they were carrying guns on their backs. Down a hill. On skis. What the what?!? Wow. And I thought I had accomplished something walking down the icy driveway with my four-legged mutt to get the mail. I'm impressed. And a little surprised...because who comes up with this stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment