Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmas Bo-ing

Do marshmallows constitute a breakfast?  Because Newbie just picked all the mallows out of his Lucky Charms and gave a banana the shaft.  And I let him.  Because its Christmas and because sometimes it ain't worth the fight. Speaking of Christmas and cereal, does anybody know where I can find some Christmas Captain Crunch?  Its a Christmas tradition around here, and its been MIA at the grocery store.  Homegirl needs some Christmas Crunch, man.

Also, I'm convinced our little baby is doing well today because I just looked at Pinterest and gagged at the sight of any food- even the usually yummy Christmas treats (with the exception of Christmas Crunch, of course).  Hello, nausea.  If it means this baby is healthy and well, you can stay as long as you'd like.  But I'm going to have to rethink pinning any recipes for a while. =)

This weekend was busting at the seems with December.  And I finally got it together and pulled out my camera. Wahoo!

Christmas Tree-ing:
Newbie was completely enthralled with the Christmas tree decorating.  He was such a great helper!  He kept coming back to the ornament box after hanging each ornament we handed him, and when he realized he had a tree in his room to decorate, he was running from the box in our room to the tree in his room and back and forth and back and forth.  We had such fun watching him and remembering how fun it was to decorate the tree as a kid.  I love the way having a little guy opens a window to the past and brings a whole knew sparkle to the magic of Christmas.

The Santa Parade:
We had planned to walk in the parade, but at the last minute, we opted out because of the weather.  We debated not going to the parade at all, and then made a game-time decision to pack Newbie up and take him because the rain had let up a bit.  G-Mama and Grandad hopped in the car with us, and we pulled the wagon up to the curb just in time to catch the start of the parade.  Newbie was taken with all the fun things and people to see and watch, and when he wasn't chowing down on a lollipop, he was talking and pointing at all the cars and kids passing by in the parade.  It was a little drippy outside, but Newbie had a blast.
 

Saturday Night Bo-ing:
Saturday after the parade and a good nap, we took Newbie "bo-ing".  He loves bowling with the play set he has at home, and Grandad has taken him to the lanes before, but he had never actually gone bowling.  The Hubs and I had "take Newbie bowling" on our December Bucket List, so we made it happen on Saturday.  It was complete chaos.  The place was jam-packed with people bowling after picking up their Christmas tree or enjoying the Santa parade, and we were tucked into a lane between two families with kids.  Newbie was ecstatic about the whole thing, but it was a real workout keeping him out of the two lanes beside us and off the slippery alley.  But the look on his face as he took it all in made it completely worth it.  He knew he had made it to the Big Time.  No more foam bowling pins for this kid.  Real bowling balls, real bowling shoes, real bowling pins. Memory made, baby.
 
(This joint was a mediocre photographer's worst nightmare...blacklights and lasers?  Are you stinkin' kidding me?  What the heck was my aperture suppose to be doing under that kind of pressure?!)
I have to smile when I look at these pictures because I love that we got to enjoy these parts of our Christmas celebration with our littlest baby too.  And since we don't know whether this may be the only family time we get with him this side of Heaven, it makes all this memory making all the sweeter.  We're praying hard this week as we look forward to another ultrasound on Friday.  A big hug and thank you to those of you who are praying with us!!!

Friday night I was so blessed by our church's women's ministry Christmas event.  We heard Tammy Trent speak (she's so spunky and fun!) and I bawled my eyes out through "Hark! The Herald Angels Sing".  I'm usually a mess during those old Christmas hymns, but you throw in the pregnancy hormones and the desperate hope we have for this baby, and it's a bucket of tears, man.

Tonight I'm meeting with a bunch of ladies as we work our way through Resolution for Women by Priscilla Shirer.  I'm really enjoying the book so far and looking forward to another night of discussion (and treats!) with the girls.  I love having so many opportunities to dig into my relationship with Jesus this Christmas.  It's such a good thing to be able to slow down in the midst of all the Christmas crazy and just breathe in the goodness and pleasure of the season.  As my good friend reminded me in a note this week, "Remember it's a gift and it's meant to be enjoyed- the whole season and every part of it. Try not to get distracted with all the stress of Christmas shopping because the best gift of all has already been given!" 

So today, Newbie and I are going to enjoy Christmas "Bay yee" (Bailey- my mom's cat) style: resting by the Christmas tree and enjoying the sparkle.  Hoping you have a very happy Monday!
 
(My mom, sister and I all whipped up these ruffled Christmas tree skirts from Pinterest.  LOVE them!)

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories your little family is making. Seems bo-ing was a real success. I am sure Newbie caught attention in his red checked flannel shirt and jeans. Such a big boy! And it looks like Bailey has found the place made just for her...she blends well! Beautiful tree skirt! Love you bunches...Mutte

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a link for the ruffled tree skirt. serious love.

    ReplyDelete