Thursday, December 24, 2009

And to all, a good night!

Mele Kalikimaka!

Today I am downing the Tylenol and plowing through pot after pot of food for our Christmas Eve dinner. Every time a buzzer beeps, something comes out and something else goes in, and after a morning of sweating to the oldies in my kitchen, I have two chicken salad sandwiches to whip up for lunch, then I'm done. Until 4 when I have to check on the venison roast, start the green beans, and take a whack at my mother-in-law's AmAzInG Yorkshire Pudding recipe. No promises. Anything that involves cooking 2 cups of Crisco in the oven is a recipe for disaster if my cooking track record remains consistent. But I'm giving it a whirl because its bready and salty and sooo good.

We are feasting tonight with family from out of town before we head out to our church's Christmas Eve service, then we're headed back to our house for coffee and some gingerbread/pumpkin trifles while we wait for my Uncle to come in from Chicago around 10:30 tonight. It's going to be a late one. And a delicious one. And I can't wait.

Soon the hubs will be home from his half day at work, and we will open presents and eat chicken salad, and bask in the glory that is a puggle-post Petco nail trim. You would bask in that glory too if he had been using his talons to unwrap your Christmas presents and tear up your couch and scratch through your flannel pajama pants. Thank goodness for the dog whispering groomers at Petco. Now we can enjoy Christmas festivities in puggle peace. Whew. After an afternoon with my little family, the real fun begins. We will fill ourselves with way too much food, go to church, then fill ourselves with way too much food again. I can't wait.

But for now, I'd like to post a few pics of our latest Christmas tradition: A Christmas Story Monopoly. I bought this game for my Monopoly-loving hubs last year so I would only have to play that stupid game with him once a year instead of 79,000 times a year. "Merry Christmas, Honey! I will only play this with you once a year now." It was a good plan.



We had a rousing game. We played a speed round so we wouldn't have to miss whatever Christmas special was on that night. He is clearly a big fan.



And guess who won?

I did.



Yep, I won. I was so proud. Because I am usually not very good with money. Apparently when there are bills that say things like, "I double dog dare you!" and "You'll shoot your eye out!" on them, I can hold my own.

Now I'm off to throw together those sandwiches before our celebration begins. Hope you all have a blessed Christmas celebrating with family and friends! I'm making a new Old Year's Resolution to bring my camera and take thousands of pics tomorrow to post later. For those of you who are wondering, no. The Old Year's Laundry Resolution did not work out. And no, I don't have anything to wear tomorrow as a result. That's why I have to make a new Old Year's Resolution that doesn't involve water or laundry detergent. So the camera and picture thing works well.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment