Thursday, December 3, 2009

Last Christmas

"Last Christmas" has been playing on the radio all day, and I've decided to concede and reflect on last Christmas in an effort to permanently put the song to rest. It has been haunting me all day and I feel like maybe the DJ knows that I haven't posted in a while and is trying to give me some inspiration or something. Maybe after I publish this post we could get some "Hippopotamus For Christmas" or at least some "Rum Pa Pum Pum" for crying out loud.

Anyway, last Christmas, the hubby and I packed our bags, threw Opie in a straight jacket, sent him to the kennel, prepared ourselves for massive amounts of burnt orange and BBQ, and boarded a plane for Texas to see family and friends.



Last Christmas we had some incredible Rudy's BBQ brisket and marveled at a massive assortment of bottled drinks.



Last Christmas we took a sneak peek at the university trophy room after hours. Apparently, last Christmas also involved plaid shorts. Way to rock it, Honey.



Last Christmas I rode some sea turtles on Lake Travis. Because, why not?



Last Christmas my sister saved her apple juice from the airplane and drank it 6 days after landing. Or maybe she just found that in the fridge. I don't remember.



Last Christmas we did one of my most favorite things and went out to visit my Grandad's meadow. We went without coats and without mittens and without hats. And we ate a lot of No Bake cookies. And chased some bulls. And I screamed a little when the hubs got too close.





Last Christmas I dreamt again of building a Laura Ingalls cabin on this hill and living out the rest of my days like a little prairie girl. Sigh.



Last Christmas the hubs broke my Grandad's tractor. And denied it even though it sat out in the pasture dead as a doornail.



Last Christmas I learned how to use the self-timer on my camera and took a picture of some of my most favorite people in the whole wide world even though half of us were still on our pajamas, and I was wearing no makeup.



This Christmas we will stay home in the arctic.

There will be coats and mittens and hats. There won't be BBQ. There will be delicious cookies at Mom's and burnt offerings from my kitchen. There will be a baby bump and wedding plans and lots of football. I think. If there is football at Christmas. And Opie will not go to the kennel, though we may still put him in a straight jacket. And some of my favorite people in the whole wide world will be traveling through the snow to visit for a week. Which won't be long enough, but we'll take what we can get. There will be hugs and laughs and long talks at the table over coffee and cookies. I am really counting on the cookies. And there will be gifts under the tree, and I will consequently still have 5 inches worth of roots showing in my hair because I decided to spend my hair money on 18 million things instead of getting my hair done. That was probably a bad choice. But I couldn't seem to control myself during that post- Thanksgiving shopping last Friday. This Christmas there will be lights on my house and several viewings of "Christmas Vacation" and "White Christmas" and maybe even "A Muppet's Christmas Carol". And there may be a re-reading of Twilight because I have kind of run out of things to do to put off doing my laundry, and I will have to remedy that somehow. There may be a 2 year anniversary celebration and perhaps a cheesy Christmas sweater party and most definitely SNOW. Because it is suppose to snow for the next 7 days straight. And I can't wait. For the cookies or the snow, or any of the other stuff. It's going to be a good one. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment