Today I discovered that contractions are officially not my favorite game. I woke up at 3:45 this morning wondering what kind of Mexican food was coming back to haunt me when I realized I was having my first duke-it-out with a set of contractions. I've gotten a lot of practice in today, as they have been coming and going for 15 hours now. More than a few times I've wondered if I was going to just have this little guy right in the middle of the living room because a few of those suckers tempted me to mumble something a little more colorful than "ouch". They seem irregular and relatively far apart, nothing near the "5 minutes apart, 1 minute long, for 1 hour" that they're required to be to head up to the hospital. However, I'm starting to think maybe I should keep a better eye on these buggers because things could be getting for real, folks. Or we could just keep playing this game for another week.
In a moment of panic, I finished packing my bags and hauled them all downstairs by the back door. You know, just in case.
My hesitation in timing these bad boys is that I have an awesome line-up of television planned for tonight. I was bummed to have to call my sister and let her know I wasn't feeling up to coming out to her new apartment tonight, but my disappointment was soothed by my discovery of the following television extravaganza: American Idol (Lee, would you please smile a little and buck up, because I really want you to win, but we need to see a little enthusiasm if we're going to break to the head of the pack), Glee (I wish I could say I haven't fallen for this show, but I totally have. There's just something so Disney The Lion King on Broadway about it...I just can't pass it up) and Parenthood. So around 11 tonight when I'm done with that stellar line up, I may just start timing my contractions and see if we've got a baby ready for lift off. I'm just worried the hospital may not be as big a fan of Glee or Parenthood as I am, and what a bummer to get all the way up there and be stuck watching MASH or something instead of some good Fox and NBC entertainment.
Maybe I'm in denial. I don't know. Maybe not. Maybe I just enjoy a good television show. All I know is something's going down, whether it be tonight or tomorrow or a week from now, this little guy is getting ridiculously close to making an appearance. In the meantime, we're trusting in God's timing and provision, and catching a few good hits on the tele along the way.
Happy couch potato-ing tonight!
No comments:
Post a Comment