Friday, April 9, 2010

Pregnancy Update: Week 39 -hurry up already- Edition

I just got back from my 39 week appointment.

When you are 39 weeks pregnant, here are a few things you don't really want to hear:

"Wow, your belly...yeah...uh...you look ready to go." Thank you, ever tactful nurse.

"Well, I don't really like due dates. They mess with your expectations. It's really more about a range of normal. A week and a half to a week or a week and a half after is really what we're shooting for." What. The. What.

"That baby is just going to come when he's ready." I think he is ready.

And here are the things you do like to hear:

"Your numbers look great. Good girl." Who doesn't love a "good girl" pat on the back every once in a while?

"One way or another, that little guy is going to come out in the next couple weeks." Thank goodness. I thought he was going to be stuck in there for.ev.er.

"Yes. You should go get a Blizzard. Because you are working hard, and all that due date mumbo jumbo is kinda a downer, dang it." That one may or may not have been my subconscious rather than my OB.

So you've got the story. Things are looking good, but there is no telling when this little man is going to arrive. I will tell you this: we have one heck of a pre-made scrapbook ready and waiting for pictures thanks to every square inch of my house being clean and my inability to bend over and pick the weeds in my flowerbeds to stay busy.

I am at this point positive that when I (and the Hubs!) prayed God would give me more patience, the Big Guy opted to give me more opportunities to be patient rather than just tossing some patience into my character. I'm finding He kinda works like that. Opie eating a highlighter and spreading the ink all over my favorite blanket yesterday has nothing on hearing that it could be up to another two weeks before this guy is born. Wowza. Deep breath. Oreo Blizzard. Long talk with the Lord in the parking lot. Call in to Mom on the phone. Ok. Feeling better.

The truth is, I have every reason to be patient. I've been blessed with an uncomplicated pregnancy and a Dairy Queen around the corner. Who could ask for anything more? I'm working on taking a deep breath and soaking in these last few days as a wife and puggle-mama. Soon enough I'll be rocking my little man to sleep and breaking every rule in Baby Wise even though I kind of like the whole scheduling thing. The problem is, I'm a little obsessed with the idea of singing and rocking him to sleep and the whole "just lay him in the crib and let him doze off" thing doesn't really fly with me. I'm just saying.

So bottom line, Newbie looks great, and I'm taking this opportunity to practice the art of patience. Patience when your belly is so big you can't see your toes or bend over to pick up the dog toys your puggle scattered all over the living room floor. That's the name of the game. Patience, patience, patience.

Wish me luck. =)

Oh! Pics of the belly Tactful Nurse deemed as "oh...uh...ready to go" to come soon if I can talk the Hubs into digging the camera out of the hospital bag.

2 comments:

  1. Oh girl, I remember those days. I was 7 days late and had to be induced. I was thinking I would for sure be early. :( Maybe this time? Hope the time goes by quickly! Can't wait for the news soon!

    ReplyDelete