Sunday, March 28, 2010

Chet

Today the Hubs and I decided to name the squirrel since it appears as though he will be staying with us for a while. We've come to accept the reality that he may in fact have a stock pile of nuts stashed away somewhere between the living room ceiling and the bedroom floor, thus enabling him to remain our house guest longer than we first anticipated. So we named him.
Meet "Chet".

The Hubs is the critter namer around here, and at 9:46 this morning while we sat and peacefully sipped our coffee before church, Chet was named and accepted as a current resident. He moved into the condo next to Sanchez, the ugly obnoxious bird with spikey feathers who likes to serenade us each Saturday morning with a screech unlike any bird I have ever heard. It's like he thinks the place is a bed and breakfast and expects us to get up and scramble him some eggs or something. Usually I just roll over and go back to sleep.

This afternoon I was stirred from my nap by something other than Sanchez and his scrambled egg demands. It was the panicked scratches of our new resident as he realized the lease he signed Friday night was a "lifer" instead of the "weekend rent" he thought he was paying when he crawled into the warm hole in the side of our roof earlier last week. His original misunderstanding is unfortunate. What is also unfortunate is how stinking close that scratching was to my head as I groggily woke up out of my snooze yelling:

"NO, CHET!"

"DON'T RUIN THIS NAP FOR ME, CHET!"

"GO BACK TO BED, CHET!"


Apparently squirrels don't have much regard for the value of a 9 month pregnant lady's nap time. Either that or Chet doesn't speak English. He didn't go back to bed. And he did ruin the nap for me. We'll see how much he regrets his decision when I commission Batty to come over from Room 9 under the stairwell to pay Chet a little rabies infested visit. Good. Grief. And yes, I do feel a little bit like Giselle in "Enchanted" with all the little city critters that have rented out rooms in my house lately. Maybe if I can get the lyrics down to the "Happy Working Song" and have a few mice scrub my toilets for me, I can make a little more progress in the "your baby will be here in two weeks, start getting things done" department.

As documented by the evidence below, I still have to pack my bags, pack Newbie's bags, pin some pics on his bulletin board, and organize his section of the way-too-full closet.




The good news is Newbie's bed is all made up and ready to go in our bedroom.

The other good news is, I have pin-pointed Chet's location to approximately this area in our bedroom. You know, when he isn't running across the ceiling in our living room. I am planning on using this information to my advantage should there be another nap-cut-short incident in the near future.

It's been a wild afternoon. I'm tired and itchy. I'm going to go find my starfish then rustle up some grub for dinner. Enjoy the last few hours of the weekend!

1 comment:

  1. so sorry about the squirrel, but yes, i do think you are sounding like the girl from enchanted. maybe you should hire someone to patch up the hole that is letting those babies in! :)
    and can i just say that seeing that little carseat almost made me Weep. Weeep with joy. and excitement, and i can't wait to smell his little head!

    ReplyDelete