Hello, Friends!
I had big ambitions today of posting all my pictures from our fabulous weekend Up North with my family, but we got a call late last night asking about showing our house today at 2:30. Said phone call started the House For Sale Fire Drill which means for the next billion hours we were stashing everything we own into closets that don't hold it all and hauling furniture and a Santa's workshop's worth of toys down to the basement.
Newbie, Opie, and I are all set to evacuate at lunch time today. We have a Sonic gift card to take advantage of, a grocery list, and a desperate need for size 18 month fleece footie PJ's because OH MY COLD. We're knocking off that to-do list today and praying praying, Please Lord, let this buyer be the one because the closets are getting fuller and the momma is getting crazier. Amen.
I've got to make this post quick because there's a baby boy rocking it out to an early nap today and early naps are never, ever as lengthy as afternoon naps. And also, there's a dog bowl and a baby gate to stash still before we leave.
BUT I have to fill you in on The Great Fly Massacre of 2011.
It all started when I was pulling some leftovers out for the Hubs Thursday night. There was a fly. He was buzzing around my head, and then he left. And then he came back really quickly.
What a crafty, speedy little fly! I thought to myself.
Then I set the food on the counter and turned to the microwave. That's when the fly went all Blue Angels on me, just two inches from my face, and I realized the crafty, speedy little fly was actually three flies. WHAT.
I took out a dish towel and beat them to a buggy pulp.
That should have been the end of it.
But it wasn't.
The Hubs came in the back door and I heard him banging around in the mudroom. I opened the door and a SWARM of flies flew into the kitchen. The Hubs ran in, slammed the door, and said he just killed 15 flies. FIFTEEN in the mudroom, using only his cat-like reflexes and his God-given skill. I gagged a little. Then I looked around and saw a fly tornado zipping around the kitchen and dining room. I gagged a little more.
We spent the next hour killing flies with a fly swatter and a dish towel. There were a few good laughs shared, a few don't-use-that-kind-of-language-in-front-of-Newbie words thrown at various flies, and a drink or two polished off by the end of the evening. It will live in infamy as the night the Hubs and I faced an army of flies with nothing but a towel and a good sense of humor.
I'm telling you, it was a war zone. There were at least 40 flies in the kitchen and the mudroom lying motionless on the linoleum. They peppered the floors and the counters and it was like some nasty bug-infested nightmare.
After an hour of intense bug battle, we pulled up the google and found directions to a DIY fly trap. We used duct tape, a 2 liter bottle, and some gnarly venison leftovers to make the trap. We set it in the mudroom and went to bed. When I woke up, I killed three flies and that was the end of it.
But I'm telling you, IT. WAS. NUTS.
And the question I'm forced to ask is: WHERE DID THEY COME FROM?
We checked the trash, the disposal, the basement, the lunch box that had been sitting in the mudroom for two weeks, everything, and there was no sign of a fly home base. So now I am left to ponder what kind of dead animal is chilling in the walls of the mudroom and giving birth to droves of flies. Awesome.
Also, our neighbor's son just discovered Screamo.
So yeah, things are going well in our neck of the woods.
Anybody want to buy a house?!
I'm just hoping the flies and the screaming tone it down a bit around 2:30 this afternoon. And to be honest, I'm really hoping Sonic doesn't disappoint with their Cranberry limeade and tater tots this afternoon because I'd be lying if I said I didn't love me some tots and limeade.
Wishing you all a happy Tuesday!
No comments:
Post a Comment