Saturday, September 25, 2010

That thing's a BEAUT! [ pronounced: bee-yout ]

The past 24 hours have been way too much fun...which is awesome given the insanity of the last two weeks!

It all started when the Hubs got home from work and asked me if I wanted to go look at a car he found on Craig's List.  We've been down to one car since he sold his Jetta last month, and me and Newbie have been grounded at home- all dressed up in our pajamas with no where to go.  I am so anxious to have a means of transportation so Newbie and I can start hitting up the DQ drive-thru and play dates again that I said "yes" without any hesitation.  So we hit the road, only to find out the guy selling the SUV couldn't meet until this morning.  That was a major downer for a mama who had just packed up a diaper bag with a lifetime supply of diapers and milk and fastened a baby into a car seat.

The Hubs salvaged the evening in a BIG way by taking me and Newbie out to On the Border for dinner!  WHAAAT?!?!  We never go out to eat anymore- it's not in the budget, and it's not on my top ten list of things I like to do with a 5 month old in tow.  But it was awesome. It was Newbie's first official restaurant experience, as his others have not involved having to tip the waiter. =)

We were definitely dressed for the occasion. Keepin' it classy in our long sleeve t-shirts and tennis shoes, sans make-up. Nice. Prior to this pick, Newbie was wearing a full-on camo body suit. No, I'm not kidding. No, I don't know how my life came to a place where I would approve of dressing my son up in leaves and sticks from head to toe. Lucky for us, he had a massive blow-out as soon as we pulled into the parking lot, so he had to change into the onesie I had stashed in his diaper bag. Like I said, classy with a capital "C", folks.





We like to let our child stand on the table in his tractor socks.  It makes the food taste better. 

This BEAST of an enchilada platter absolutely made my night.  QUE RICO!
After a night out on the town, we hit the sack and got up bright and early to check out the car this morning.  We went to take a look and knew right away it was the one we wanted.  It fit every single item on our "have to have" list with the exception of leather seats-a hit we were willing to take on the basis that it didn't smell funky or look dirty.  The SUV was in excellent condition, and we were both smiling for the duration of the exchange.  The Hubs is a hoss when it comes to wheeling and dealing, so I took Newbie back to our car while he bartered with the owner.  He managed to talk him down a good chunk and VIOLA!  We have a new car!!!! 

I would post pics, but the Hubs has dubbed the car mine, and if I showed you pictures, you would know who it was that cut you off because she was too busy guzzling an Oreo Blizzard to really pay attention to the road.  Hence, it has to remain a mystery.  But I will tell you that she's a BEAUT. Black and shiny and huge and full of space for car seats and kennels and strollers and cute sunglasses.  Oh!  And a moon roof.  A stinking moon roof.  This is one spoiled mama!

As if that wasn't enough adventure for one weekend, we took off this afternoon to hit up the local art contest where people from all over the planet have created all kinds of things in hopes of winning a billion dollars or something like that.  To me it means a good chance to eat some cotton candy and enjoy the city with family and friends while looking at things that are slightly reminiscent of the artwork I might have seen over a projector in the Art 101 class I almost failed my freshman year of college. Tomato, tomorrow.

We had such a blast!  We stuck Newbie in the stroller and walked around checking out all the cool art forever ever. 

It was a blustery day today, so we had to bundle up- here's the Hubs and Newbie showing off some Longhorn and camo attire.
The Hubs and I strolled across our old stomping grounds....we walked through campus at our Alma-mater where we both went to school and enjoyed dating.  Oh my gosh.  The stories to tell.  Someday, folks.  Someday.

This was a fantastic piece created by the wife of our old Bible study leader.  We were excited to see her piece featured and it was soooo beautiful.  A painting on brass....we hear it is even cooler at night, so we're planning a return trip later this coming week.
Caramel apples and cotton candy are always a good idea.  Camo, however, is not.
We took Newbie for a walk-through of the hotel we stayed at for a portion of our Honeymoon. The hotel was one of several places downtown where art was displayed.  It was the first time we had been back since December 22, 2007, and we had fun showing Newbie the swanky digs.


Please take a moment to note the felt flower on my hat in the above pic.  Yes.  I made that.  I was feeling crafty and actually hammered out an entire project in one sitting which never happens for me.  I have about 8 burp cloths sitting in a drawer half made right now.  I am so proud of that stupid completed hair clip.  Woohoo!
And below: Who doesn't love deep sea creatures made of recycled material?
This sucker was made of pennies.  PENNIES!  Do you get the irony?

Me neither.  But it was still cool.
We had so much fun today!  It was fun over load.  I think to balance it out we are going to have to lock ourselves in the house tonight and just sit on the couch to prevent combusting.  One thing's for sure... I'm going to have to keep peeking out the window into the driveway at that new car....the thing's a BEAUT!

1 comment:

  1. Can't imagine why we didn't see you....we were downtown too! It was indeed fabulous, what a variety of talented artists. We need to take a lesson from your artsy sister and bro-in-law too and next time wear the "proper" attire.(check out her blog) We also went to the Army's "Spirit of America" at the Van Andel. Free and FABULOUS! I was so impressed. Catch it for sure next time it's in town....
    Hope you had some Tums handy after that platter of heartburn! Looks like it would kill ya' or cure ya'! Woweee.

    ReplyDelete