She came to my house today (with lunch!!!) and played with Newbie for three hours while I scrubbed my kitchen floors and cranked out four loads of baby food. She's a grandma extraordinaire, and she loves my sweet little boy to pieces and I love her for that. It is such a blessing that my son has two sets of grandparents who love him so so much. I am so grateful! Thank you, thank you, to my MIL for making my day!!! xoxoxo
And you heard that right. This happened:
I felt so domesticated. Now take a deep breath in through your nose....can you smell that? No? Well, me neither because my sense of smell was rendered dead on tile 5 of about 40 I bleached this afternoon. But if I could smell, I'd guess my floors are giving off an aroma like that of an indoor swimming pool. I love that smell. It burns the nostrils and it burns the germs. Mmm.....
And you know what ELSE happened? I will tell you. But it requires a little history first. Two summers ago I bought this wicked awesome Weebles Castle from a garage sale for 5 bucks. You know, "Weebles wabble but they won't fall down!" ....it's the same song the Hubs would sing to me when I tried to get out of bed at eight months pregnant. CHARMING. Anyway, I bought this castle for any future kiddos that happened to come around. I was so excited because it sings and the mote around the castle spins and so does the dance floor. This toy had the potential to entertain my future children for hours. In my infinite wisdom, I took it home and hosed it down. BRILLIANT. The sand and dirt came off, but the song just gurgled and the mote wouldn't move. In a fit of rage and depression, I stuffed it in a closet and mourned the loss of what could have been.
Yesterday I decided to resurrect it. I took that thing out and went into the BOWELS of that toy. I unscrewed 5 different layers underneath until I came to the motor, where the pulley had come off line. I feel so handy and engineery describing this to you. I wrapped the pulley back around the gears (this is the simple machines unit I studied in 5th grade kicking in here) and screw all 5 layers back together. Then I pressed the button. AND IT WORKED!
BEHOLD....what could have been, and what now IS hours of entertainment for small people:
I like to think I tapped into my inner "Grandad" because my grandad can fix ANYTHING. I think some of that fix-it talent might just run in my blood. =) (Love you, GD!!!)
Newbie loves the new castle. He spent all afternoon yesterday laughing at it and playing with those little Weebles. Such fun. Such satisfaction. For the rest of the afternoon, we lived like kings.
But now it's back to the peasant life. There are dishes to wash and carpets to vacuum, and I'm thinking I should probably squeeze a shower in there somewhere because I'm not convinced this bleach isn't eating through my skin.
Y'all have a great afternoon, and don't worry about me if things get a little quiet around here the next couple days. The Hubs has a slew of days off and we have big family plans including, but not limited to, Picture Day, Flu shots, Stouffer's lasagna, and the potential for a date night. I am hoping to spend a lot of time over the next couple days being completely present with my two boys. We need some family time, and I am so excited that we're getting it. But if the video games and football take over, I'll definitely stop by and say hello. =)






No comments:
Post a Comment