In celebration of our first installment, I threw half a bag of chocolate chips into my banana bread dough this morning. Whoopee!
Our Christmas started on our three year anniversary with a fun night out on the town with Newbie. See "Candy Canes and Silver Lanes Aglow" for more information because homie ain't gonna recap that again.
The day after our anniversary, we headed out to the country to see Newbie's Great Grandma and Grandpa P. We had some delicious chili for lunch and got to spend some time opening presents and watching Newbie play with his cousin B. B had a lot of fun showing Newbie how to use his new toys- it was really fun to watch them play together. How cute is that blonde hair?!?
Great Grandma and Grandpa P hit the jackpot for Newbie with a fun set of cars and a Santa rubber ducky...they knew what that little boy would like!
The following day, lovingly referred to as Christmas Adam by the Hubs, we had Newbie's Fake Uncle C over for a hearty lunch of tacos and tacos. What can I say? I pull out all the stops when company's a' comin'. Truth be told, Fake Uncle C got the shaft on the home cookin' cuz I had just baked my buns off for a week and had nothing left to give. But bless his heart, he was a good sport and took the Old El Paso Taco Dinner Kit like a man.
Newbie had a ball showing off for his fake uncle and loved that he was about three stories tall. Fake Uncle C even helped Newbie touch the ceiling! Daddy-O grew up with Fake Uncle C, so it was fun to have the three boys together for the afternoon.
After Uncle C left, Newbie got a special present in the mail from his Great Grandmother, Gramere. He LOVED the pretty wrapping paper and had a blast opening the gift with Daddy-O.
Next on the list of family fun was a full fledged assault on Old Navy that afternoon, the likes of which we had never seen before. I will never go Christmas shopping on Christmas Adam again. I was a very grumpy mama by the time it was all said and done. The end.
On Christmas Eve, the Hubs and I unwrapped what was left of our Christmas gifts to each other. We spent the week opening one gift a day because when you're grown-ups, you get to do what you want, and who doesn't love opening Christmas presents early?
BA ha ha! That pic of the Hubs cracks me up. Don't ever let anyone tell you that Newbie is the only ham in our family.
Moving on...
The rest of the morning, we were busy as bees finishing up some of our homemade gifts. On my parents' side we had decided to do homemade gifts this year, and the Hubs and I in typical procrastinating fashion decided it would be a great idea to wait until the day before Christmas to finish up our presents. We are creative geniuses. It was tight, but we got everything done!
After Newbie's nap that afternoon, we hit up Starbucks for a White Peppermint Mocha Frappacino then went over to deliver it to Aunt Corndog during her last couple hours of work. Nobody likes working on Christmas Eve, but a little Starbucks and a cute nephew never hurts.
After our quick visit, it was time to head out to the Christmas Eve service at church. We donned matching outfits for the occasion. =)
I am so far beyond editing these pictures. Are your eyes bleeding yet? I apologize to your retinas.
The church service was fantastic, but Newbie and I spent a good chunk of the service watching the sermon alone from the cry room...which was OK because I grabbed a handful of those white chocolate covered pretzels shaped like Christmas trees from the coffee/cookie table on our way to the cry area and ALL GOOD. Newbie is so great about singing and listening in church right up until the sermon. That's usually when he starts freaking out and we take a one-way ticket to the cry room. It was still a wonderful service, spiritually refreshing, and really helped our hearts focus on Christ this Christmas. We love love loved it!
That night we came home and ate dinner, then the Hubs read from Scripture while Newbie and I acted out the story of Jesus' birth with his Nativity.
It was a really special first Christmas Eve together as a little family, and we treasured every moment. When it was time to tuck Newbie into bed, we kissed him on the cheek and then Santa stuffed his fat hiney down the chimney and spent an hour opening toy packaging that would have served better as an alternative to Alcatraz. That stuff was INTENSE. We finally got everything open and ready to rock and roll the next morning. Then the Hubs and I snuggled up in bed and watched Nativity Story.
When the movie was over, the Hubs slept while Aunt Corndog and I texted each other back and forth talking about how excited we were for the next day. Turns out just because you and your little sister grew up and got married doesn't mean you have to stop getting butterflies and giggling together about Santa coming...because THAT happened. =)
More to come on our Christmas in the second installment of The Griswold Family Christmas. For now, I'm off to enjoy my little boy and a calorie-ridden slice of chocolate chip banana bread.
Happy Wednesday!








No comments:
Post a Comment