I spent the better part of yesterday cleaning and working in the kitchen, where I subjected myself to the grueling task of seeding two pomegranates. It was like I had traveled west to pan for gold on the Yukon. When it was all said and done, I felt like a freckle-faced 17 year old boy who followed the Oregon trail and endured hardships beyond measure in hopes of hitting the jackpot, only to find after weeks panning for gold on the river that gold flecks are few and far between, and I would have been better off staying back home in Tennessee with Ma and marrying Ida Lee after all. Except I'm a 25 year old woman, the Oregon Trail and the hardships were cleaning my house and dusting behind my toilets, and the panning for gold on the river was digging my fingers into the unrelenting crevices of two very strong willed pomegranates. I still wish I had stayed back home in Tennessee with Ma.
Anyway, as of 10 o'clock this morning I told the Hubs he is banned from the kitchen because I've pulled out all the stops and set out my crystal and Christmas china for the occasion and he has somewhat of a "bull in a china shop" reputation around here. He was OK with it because I promised to bring him food and drink anytime he rings the bell.
Tonight he's on Baby Duty, and he's thrilled because after Newbie goes to bed at 8, he doesn't have to listen to me whine when he puts "Black Hawk Down" in to watch after dark. I can't do war movies after dark. Too intense. So he's going to prop his feet up, turn on the DVD player, and live like a king for the night while the hens cluck and craft away downstairs. If that ain't livin' large, I don't know what is.
As for the rest of the day before showtime, all I have left to do is assemble a trifle and wrestle Opie into a straight jacket, so I think we may pop in a Christmas movie or go out and run a few fun errands like buying a book of stamps or a box of baby diapers. It won't be as exciting as our trip to Jimmy John's on Sunday afternoon, but I'm still looking forward to it.
Speaking of Jimmy John's...when we were there I asked the Hubs to order me a Turkey Tom, Thinny Chips, a Coke, and to throw in a pickle spear. After the order was ready, the Hubs came to the table and placed my sub, chips, and drink in front of me. Then he handed me a semi-truck wrapped in paper. That pickle must have weighed 19 pounds, and would have made at least 8 pickle spears at Panera Bread. What was I suppose to do with that much pickle?!? It was bigger than the Turkey Tom sub I ordered, and that is not an exaggeration. Oh. my. goodness. I ended up pitching more than half of it because the Hubs doesn't eat pickles and to take the leftovers home, we would have had to tie that sucker to the top of the car like a Christmas tree. Last time I order a pickle at Jimmy Johns, I tell you what.
Hope y'all have a terrific Thursday and that any pickle spears you order with your lunch today are of reasonable proportions. Hasta luego!

No comments:
Post a Comment