Monday, December 13, 2010

Man Down

UPDATED: The Hubs is slowly taking a turn for the better.  Emphasis on the slowly.  Newbie and I are still in the clear as of 6:21 this evening.  I can't say I'm not bracing myself for the fall.  I think I've had two pieces of toast and one granola bar today.  Yikesers.  We did make it out to Toys R Us for a quick trip this afternoon.  Newbie and I needed to see the light of day, lest we lose all hope for making it out of this sick ward in one piece.  Thanks for the prayers- the Hubs managed to crack a joke via text message from the quarantined area- always a good sign. Have a great night!

There's a man down in this house, and it ain't me.

Which means I am really hoping it was the Chinese take-out and the raw cookie dough I didn't eat yesterday and not the bubonic plague. 

Have I ever told you I have stomach flu phobia?  Because I do.

I get shaky and clammy and nutty when someone gets the stomach flu.

No joke.  It's like a panic attack.

I don't know what it is.  I can't trace its origins.  It is just here and a rather large part of my crazy.

My first day of student teaching a student yakked all over the room, and I went home that night and cried.

So you can imagine my reaction last night when my husband of almost three years got sick for the first time in the seven years I've known him.  I knew it would happen sometime.  I was just hoping it would wait until we were 60 something and wise in the ways of the world and not afraid or grossed out by anything anymore because we had seen it all.

Alas, 'twas not our fate.

Poor Hubs went down at 4 am, and I haven't seen him since because I put him in quarantine upstairs.  I might have toast air-lifted in for him later today. 

We're praying Newbie doesn't get it because nobody should have to learn what the stomach flu is at 8 months old.  Praying praying praying.

And Lysoling.  Because a little gallon of Lysol never hurt anybody.

I feel like I'm a ticking time bomb, but a mama's gotta do what a mama's gotta do.  Take care of Newbie, feed the dog, take out the trash, scrub the dishes, do the laundry, water the hogs.  Life keeps moving regardless of my opinion that we should all camp out in individual haz-mat tents for the next 48 to 72 hours because who knows who is going down next.

Ugg.

So I might be MIA for a little while depending on the rate of recovery around here.  Hopefully it's a fleeting visitor who packs its bags and jumps ship before the rest of us meet him.  If not, well, I'll see you on the other side.

Also, who wants some of the Christmas cookies the Hubs made yesterday?  Any takers?!?   Cookies laced with stomach warfare, anyone?  No?

Probably a good call.

Looks like Opie is going to get a Christmas miracle in the form of about 26 freshly frosted Christmas cookies.  Merry Christmas, Opers!!!

Wishing you all a happy and healthy Monday!

3 comments:

  1. How come there are no pictures for this post??? :-) Hope you feel better "Hubs"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. GOSH! You CRACK me up, once again. You never ever fail to make me laugh. The part that got me was "I may have toast air-lifted to him later this evening!" LOL Please take a picture of your doing this, please!?!? I agree with Brett... where's a picture for this post? I really do hope it was food poisoning and not the stomach flu. SICK. Eeeeek! Feel better over there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BA ha ha! I should have taken a picture! It would have been one of me with my shirt over my nose and mouth, running at lightening speed in and out of the bedroom, dumping a plate of toast and applesauce at the foot of the bed on my way out =) hehe

    ReplyDelete