Last night was L-O-N-G long.
Newbie was fussing from 8-12 and just wouldn't fall asleep unless I rocked him. As soon as I lay him down in the crib, he would wake up wailing. To make things more interesting, the Hubs had popped some Nyquil before bed due to a bad cough and chugged up head, so he was dead to the world after about 7 pm.
I moved into Newbie's room around 10 pm after staying in there to rock him since 8 pm, and by 5 am we were both sharing the big bed with the Hubs (who was still dead to the world.) Too bad Nyquil isn't for 6 month olds! When Newbie put his little palm to my cheek like he does when he wakes up in our bed, his hand was on fire. And I knew. I knew right away that my little buggy was running a fever and was sick. I opened my eyes and his big blue eyes were looking up at me above the most plugged up gunky nose I have ever seen.
So I dumped a cooler of Gatorade on the Hubs, effectively waking him up, then we swept Newbie off to the doctor this morning and came back with an ear infection diagnosis and all kinds of bubble gum pink medicine that should make him feel better. Poor little guy. He slept all the way home and all the way through our 57 hour stay in the pharmacy drive-thru window line.
Now we're back home and taking it easy this afternoon while the Hubs is at work. Lots of snuggles on the couch and The Little Mermaid on the TV. The Little Mermaid is for me, not Newbie. Thaaaat's right. It was a long night for both of us, and there's just something about a good Disney movie that is light years better than comfort food to me. I grew up with Ariel and Belle and Simba and Peter Pan, and on a bad day, those pals are just the meatloaf and mashed potatoes this girl needs. Don't worry, I skip over the scary parts- like when Ariel visits Ursula, because who's a fan of a black octopus anyway? She gives me the creeps.
Is now a good time to mention that I occasionally revert to eating macaroni with hot dogs on a bad day too? Sometimes it is fun to be five years old. It just makes a girl feel better. Like when you're having a rough go and you just want to be a mermaid and eat some mac and cheese.
Newbie appreciates the "under the sea" ambiance. He told me so.
So we're huddling down for the next couple days while Newbie works his way through his first official sickness. Bless his heart, he's still smiling at his mama despite feeling just awful. What a sweet little boy I have!
Wishing you a day free of bubble gum pink medicine and hoping your seaweed is greener.
No comments:
Post a Comment