Monday, October 11, 2010

Talk to me, Baby!


Nothing like three blog posts in one day to really reflect how productive I've been around here in the past 12 hours.

Oh, well.  This could not wait until the morning hours. 

I have BIG NEWS!

Tonight the Hubs got home from work and relayed his day to me.  He's working at a health and wellness center, and at one point he looks at me and says, "Honey, it's just so great!  I absolutely love it!  Everybody there cares so much about fitness and health- they are so passionate about helping people get healthy and stay healthy.  IT. IS. AWESOME!" And I said, "Sweet!  Pass the Oreos; let's watch some TV."

Not really. 

But kinda. 

The good news is there's a pool where he's at so when it's blizzarding outside, Newbie and I can hit the 80+ degree pool for some health and wellness training floating and splashing and bubble blowing. We even managed to find a swim suit for him on clearance for two bucks tonight.  All of his suits from the summer will be too small by the time the snow hits, so we snatched one up at the store while we were out. And the other good news is I can take his jogger stroller around the indoor track that overlooks the pool.  All the makings of an active winter day when I would otherwise be sitting on the couch contracting frostbite.  SO looking forward to it!

But that's not the big news.

Back to where I was....the Hubs came home and was telling me about his day while we ate and cleaned up dinner.  Newbie was chilling in his highchair taking it all in while I was at the sink rinsing the dishes- that's when I heard it. 

"Maah-MUH!"

Clear as a bell.

I am not kidding.

NO, I AM NOT KIDDING!

He has been so talkative lately, and I've heard him say "mamamamamamama" and "omom om om om" and "mmmmm  mmmmm" and [insert scream/squeal here], but it's always in a string of sounds and raspberries.


Tonight, however, TONIGHT, my baby said "Ma-Ma!" Short and sweet and crystal clear.  The Hubs and I looked at each other and smiled to the moon and back; we couldn't believe it. 

The Hubs: "He just called you!  No, really- he just said 'Ma-ma' as clear as a bell- and only once!"

Me: [hyperventillating]

The Hubs: "I can't believe that!  He really said it!"

Me: [hyperventillating]

The Hubs: "Good job, Newbie! You're such a big boy! Now say: 'Da-Da!"

He didn't say "Da-Da" tonight.  He only had words for his mother. What can I say?  I let him smell the Oreos, so he's kinda a fan. But I'm sure it's coming!

I was so excited to hear him say "mama"- and only 3 days before his 6 month birthday!  He is such a little ham.  I'm not sure that he knew what he said, but what a riot that he only said it one time. =)  I've probably brained washed him for the past 6 months: "Wanna play with mama?  Want to watch the Today Show with Mama?  Want to go see G-Mama with Mama?  Want to call Daddy with Mama?  Want to eat breakfast with Mama? Want to let Opie out with Mama?" 

I don't know what makes me speak in third person when I talk to him, but I do.  And it will totally pay off if he's already calling my name at 6 months old. So much fun to hear my little guy jabbering away- and exciting to hear him saying an individual word! 
I better get to bed- big day tomorrow. Newbie and I will practice saying "Please pass the Halloween Oreos!" ...it's really an essential phrase this time of year.



2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS!!!!! GOOD JOB Newbie!!!!! WHOOOOOOOOHOOOO!!!! I LOVE your turkey outfit!!! It's tooo cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww! I seriously got teary eyed reading this. postpartum emotions, I'm sure. :)And I have to say that I am SUPER jealous of your Y membership. My jelly belly is longing for some pool time and running!

    ReplyDelete