Dear Benadryl,
You are awesome.
I don't know that you're doing much for this cold, but you are one heck of a sand man.
My gratitude to you and your little pink self.
Love,
Me
We are still trudging through the first cold of the year around here. From the Hubs to Newbie to me. And GET THIS: I was scouring the Internet tonight hoping to find some kind of insight into my "to take or not to take Nyquil" dilemma when I finally gave up and popped a Benadryl if for nothing else than to knock me out tonight. I had the OK from the doc on the Benadryl when Newbie was a month old, so I figured we were good to go. Then, THEN, I get an email from a friend suggesting I call the 24-hour Walgreens Pharmacy if I ever have a question about what I can take while nursing when my doctor's office is closed.
AND THAT'S WHEN THE ALLELUIA CHORUS RANG.
It was a germaphobe's dream come true: 24-hour pharmaceutical advice. I always feel stranded by the medical professionals from Friday at 5 til Monday at 8, forced to rely on my own intuitions when determining what I can and cannot take while nursing. Which is not a good thing, because most of my information regarding medical information comes from an interesting cocktail involving a few episodes of "The Doctors" and "Rescue 9-1-1" mixed in with a couple hours of some shady CPR training in a fire fighter's basement. My lack of know-how always results in me just self medicating with food because everybody knows a couple Oreos dipped in millk before bed can do what a few tablespoons of Nyquil can if the world would just give them a chance.
So from now on, its the 24-hour pharmacy for me when I'm so chugged up with a cold that I can't see straight. Tonight, however, it's the Benadryl, because we've been there, done that. In fact, I'm writing 45 minutes post Benadryl dosage, and I can almost feel it pumping through my veins and making me loopy and tired. That probably explains why I felt it was really important that I get online and update my blog to tell everyone about which medications I am taking for my common cold instead of sleeping. The 'Dryl messes with you, man. Impaired judgement? Check.
But I had to. Because we had a record breaking number of comments from family and friends worried I was guzzling the 'Quil without the doctor's OK. I had to inform my peeps that all was well, and I opted for the junk food (namely various Costco samples on Saturday) then the Benadryl instead.
That last sentence makes me feel like if I said, "the three-legged purple goat in my backyard just ate the shoes under my bed and then wrapped my Christmas presents" I'd be making more sense right now.
It's the 'Dryl.
So I'm off to bed.
Wishing you all sweet dreams and clear sinuses.
No comments:
Post a Comment